Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Finished week 3 - annoyingly my legs are fine and I know I can keep going from that point of view - however my lungs disagree
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »
    Finished week 3 - annoyingly my legs are fine and I know I can keep going from that point of view - however my lungs disagree

Huh! Lungs! What do they know? :D

Been there - believe me, it gets easier, even when the weeks become harder. :T

WR
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    With all the talk about spending on the NHS during the general election campaign, it strikes me that one of the best things the electorate could do is get a group of pals together and decide to do some exercise.

Only if they wanted to kill the NHS off once and for all. The longer you live, the more you cost the NHS in pills, hip replacements, dementia care etc. Not to mention State Pensions. The NHS is barely functioning as it is and certainly cannot afford a national increase in longevity.

Obviously this is no reason not to exercise - you have to look out for your own health, and a healthier population is good for society as a whole. But not for the NHS' sake.

(Apologies for hijacking the thread but it's important people understand the economics.)
  • fire-wannabe
    fire-wannabe Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So nice to see how everyone is doing -well done! !!!! I am doing W7R2 tomorrow.....I am supposed to be doing it all in one go but being used to alternating between running/walking, I have (very) short breaks of walking in between still- nearly there though ☺
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 June 2017 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Hi all.

Week 5, Run 2 done this morning.... a bit of a challenge as there was a pretty strong breeze .... fine when running with it, not quite so fine running into it!

Again, managed not to stop but I have to say I was quite surprised at that... no land speed record set, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Tricky few days coming up, as we are away for the weekend with friends.... I hope to do run 3 on Saturday morning before we all meet up, or on Sunday when we come home..... decisions, decisions.....:D

Keep on keeping on going, everyone.:T

WR

Edit - Just realised - dates mixed up - it's the weekend of 10/11 June we are away.... no excuses this weekend then!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    W6R3 accomplished! Am planning on not running tomorrow, maybe Saturday morning instead.

I am tempted to say I can't believe I ran nearly 2 miles, but obviously I did (if I were faster it would have been the full 2 miles but I'm trusting the process: I will be faster eventually and I'm not racing anyone, least of all myself till I'm secure in doing the distance without overfacing myself). So: I ran nearly two miles. I am more of an athlete than I knew, but the proof is there on my app and fitness tracker.

And to think I very nearly did an early run again, thinking this was too hard for me. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Week 5, Run 3, done this morning. Didn't stop.

I'll repeat that "Week 5, Run 3, done this morning. Didn't stop." :D

There seem to be very few people posting on the thread, but for the benefit of any 'lurkers' out there, if someone had told me 5 weeks ago that by this morning I'd be jogging for a 20 minute stretch, I'd have thought they were off their head.

It seems to work, for me anyway.

WR
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    if someone had told me 5 weeks ago that by this morning I'd be jogging for a 20 minute stretch, I'd have thought they were off their head.

Me too!

If the temperature goes down a bit more I'm going to run again this evening (or you'll overtake me ;) ).

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Me too!

If the temperature goes down a bit more I'm going to run again this evening (or you'll overtake me ;) ).

The speed I "jog" at, if I'm overtaking you, you must be going backwards!

For me at the moment, just keeping going is more important than speed..... at least that's what Laura tells me..... :cool:

WR
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    The speed I "jog" at, if I'm overtaking you, you must be going backwards!

You are a genius! I knew there was a reason people kept staring.

W7R1 this evening: DH ran too, the temperature was beginning to fall and there was a lovely cool wind: perfect. I set the pace but DH and I both think we are now close to being on a par over a couple of miles. Mind you he would beat me over 100m, no problem.

I too keep my speed well down in order to be sure I complete the day's challenge, but it's actually a bit slower than I would naturally go so a couple of times today I treated myself to running at an easier pace, just for a moment. I can see I will be faster when I'm more experienced.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family