PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rented property - deposit problem

Options
Hello,

After some advice.

My partner was at university in London. Living in a shared rented property.
When they all signed the tenancy , the landlord made it clear, there is NO DEPOSIT PAYABLE and there is NO DEPOSIT PROTECTION SCHEME.

She made them all pay 2 months rent upfront each and said at the end of the tenancy a full months rent will be returned to each of them.
(This seems like a deposit to me ... Not sure why she would choose to word it this way?)

Anyway,

12 months later, my partner has moved out and asked for her 350 months rent back.

The landlord is now saying she is only paying 320 as her room needed painting and some rubbish was moved. The landlord is also saying that she can only have the 320 back in CASH and she has to collect if from London ... (my partner now lives in birmingham)

Where does my partner stand? Anyone got any advice?

In my eyes, she is 350 pound in credit with her rent and it should be returned immediatley in the same way it was paid. Bank transfer.

The landlord has obviously worded 'the deposit' differently in the tenancy agreement to avoid using a deposit scheme and to accrue interest on the deposit in her own bank account ...

Any alleged painting / damage / rubbish etc, the landlord should invoice my partner directly and pursue payment ...

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 June 2018 at 6:01PM
    Options
    My partner was at university in London. Living in a shared rented property.
    When they all signed the tenancy , the landlord made it clear, there is NO DEPOSIT PAYABLE and there is NO DEPOSIT PROTECTION SCHEME.

She made them all pay 2 months rent upfront each and said at the end of the tenancy a full months rent will be returned to each of them.
    (This seems like a deposit to me ... Not sure why she would choose to word it this way?)
    Yes, that is clearly a deposit. Cash paid up front to be returned at the end. Clearly not rent!

12 months later, my partner has moved out and asked for her 350 months rent back.

The landlord is now saying she is only paying 320 as her room needed painting and some rubbish was moved. The landlord is also saying that she can only have the 320 back in CASH and she has to collect if from London ... (my partner now lives in birmingham)
    So as well as trying to fiddle the deposit rules, she is also fiddling HMRC....?

Where does my partner stand? Anyone got any advice?
    Yes.
    Take the landlord to court and claim the 3 times penalty for not registering the deposit.
    1) is there a receipt proving this extra months rent was paid?
    2) is there anything in writing describing it as rent which is refundable?
    3) what else is there in writing about this money eg recent email exchnges regarding its return, the deductions, etc, which make it clear a deposit was taken?

In my eyes, she is 350 pound in credit with her rent and it should be returned immediatley in the same way it was paid. Bank transfer.
    Well in my mind, the tenant should not have paid the last months rent since (as your rightly say, if this money was rent then the tenant was in credt and the last month had already een paid.

Too late now though!

The landlord has obviously worded 'the deposit' differently in the tenancy agreement to avoid using a deposit scheme and to accrue interest on the deposit in her own bank account ...
    The interest will be miinimal. I doubt that is the reason.

It's to avoid registering it in a scheme, and hence to avoid scheme arbitration over deductions. The courts would take a dim view and probably award the maximum penalty (3 times the deposit).
    Either go straight to court and clim the penalty (get all the evidence lined up first), or threaten to do so unless the LL immediately transfers the full amount to your bank account.

See also

* Deposits: payment, protection and return
  • desperatedan123
    Options
    Great info. Thankyou for that.

It worked immediately. I just phoned the landlord and pointed out a few of your points and some points from the deposits link you posted ..

She is transferring the money back as I type.

Thankyou very much
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    and you still have the option of claiming the penalty.

But provided the money arrives as promised I'd quit while you're ahead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure