edited 28 February 2018 at 11:25AM in Child support

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kayrilm wrote: »
    Hi all!!
    My ex left us when I was 33 weeks pregnant, didn't bother to ask too much about baby girl but now that she is about to be born he is saying that if I don't put him on the birth certificate he will get a Prohibited Steps Order agains me and I will not be able to visit my parents in Italy with the baby when I want.
    My question is can he apply for a PSO even if he is not on the birth certificate?
    Yes, He is the father and if you refuse to put him on it, he can go to court to be recognised as the father.

He may have left you, but your child is entitled to a relationship with BOTH parents.
  • CurlySue2017
    CurlySue2017 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 February 2018 at 9:57AM
    Options
    Surely the way to avoid it is simple......put him on the birth certificate.

Why wouldn't you if he is the father?
  • Ron2017
    Options
    He can certainly apply for a prohibited steps order and will most likely get one. Then it will be put down for a hearing to decide if a longer order should remain in place. A prohibited steps hearing is normally a very quick affair and they are normally granted if the other person can show a reason. He will also be granted Parental Responsibility.
    Or as others have said just put him on the birth certificate, its the right thing to do anyway.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most important question is are you married to him ?

Unless you are married you can't "put him on the birth certificate", it isn't even an option.

To be named on the BC (if unmarried) he would have to go and register the birth with you - which would then give him parental responsibility automatically.

He can apply to a court to get PR or a PSO, doesn't always mean the court will grant it.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    Most important question is are you married to him ?

Unless you are married you can't "put him on the birth certificate", it isn't even an option.

To be named on the BC (if unmarried) he would have to go and register the birth with you - which would then give him parental responsibility automatically.

He can apply to a court to get PR or a PSO, doesn't always mean the court will grant it.
    I think when someone is going abroad and refusing to cooperate in regards PR - the court tend to take a dim view
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do want him to be present in his daughter's life

Unless there are compelling reasons, such as a history or violence or other genuine risk, that is a decision that you have a right to take. Your child is entitled to a relationship with both parents and you should not exclude the father just because of your own personal feelings.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I completely understand how you must be feeling. It's a trying time, so close to childbirth.

If the poster who said that if you are not married, the father will have to be present to record his name on the BC is correct (I have no knowledge on this either way), then I suggest you put the ball in his court by telling him so. Then offer three dates and times when the registration could be made (do all of this in writing, email? text message? if at all possible). If he refuses, this will be evidence in your favour at any hearing.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    Like I said before I want him to be present as much as possible and even if we don't 'agree on a lot of things' I still always updated him with everything that was happening even if he didn't bother to ask, it's just that at this point hearing that my daughter cannot see her grandparents just because he doesn't want to I kind of reached my limit of patience.

But she can see her grandparents, as long as you put her FATHER on her birth certificate. So it is you that is stopping her, not her father.

I assume that you will you be wanting him to pay maintenance towards his child?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    If the poster who said that if you are not married, the father will have to be present to record his name on the BC is correct

This is right -
    https://www.gov.uk/register-birth/who-can-register-a-birth
    Unmarried parents
    The details of both parents can be included on the birth certificate if one of the following happens:
    they sign the birth register together
    one parent completes a statutory declaration of parentage form and the other takes the signed form to register the birth
    one parent goes to register the birth with a document from the court (eg a court order) giving the father parental responsibility
  • Kayrilm
    Kayrilm Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 28 February 2018 at 12:33AM
    Options
    Thank you lisa110rry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts