Great Ways To Cut The Cost Of Learning To Drive Hunt

Options

Comments

• shellbell_4
    Options
    Have scary teenaged (17) daughter who wants to learn - am struggling with the potential cost of insuring her on my car - (over 2 grand) - not sure if this is the right forum but any tips for a) reducing the cost of insurance and b)how to instill in her that its a potential wmd would be very welcome. Thanks to previous tips about lessons.
  • valiant23
    valiant23 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    If you plan on helping the learner in your family with extra lessons Reg Vardy hire dual-controlled cars by the hour.

I plan on looking into that more when Mrs. V starts taking lessons.

HTH.

P.S. It may cost you more, but obviously your own car is 'safe'.

You can spend your time alone re digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who can forgive yourself.
    Makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    (Pearl Jam - Present Tense)
  • shengen
    shengen Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    road signs have set meanings like a 30mph limit sign means a maximum of 30 , there is no minimum but he maximum is clearly stated. Or a stop sign means stop , a no left turn means no left turn, no entry means no entry do \i need to go on
    Regards

Mark
  • shengen
    shengen Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    The other guy was actually a bit creepy. He'd lean across me to get to stuff in the pocket on the door. He never did anything overtly inappropriate and I didn't want to overreact but he made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I think that's another good reason to rely on personal recomendation or go for a female instructor. Lone teen girl in a car with a man driving round and parking up in little side streets is a situation open to abuse.[/QUOTE]

comments like that are unhelpful, lone teen girls lone teen boys , lone middle aged women lone middle aged men whats the difference , driving instructors generally arent paedos
    Regards

Mark
  • southwellpie
    Options
    Hey Guys,

Im currently learning to drive in the cambridge area but im not very happy with my instructor. (finishes early, spends to much time explaining things when i understand them etc).

as im a student there i don't know anyone else who has had lessons there, can any one recommend a good instructor in the CAMBRIDGE are?

Cheers
  • Devon_Cream_Tea
    Options

resources for the driving theory test are readily available at bargain prices on ebay. (if you are new to ebay, dont forget to register via a cashback site to make the most of your spend). i also got my L plates from there at a fraction of what the shops were charging. it is important to make sure you get the most up-to-date copy of the highway code/test questions, and a cd rom is almost essential to be able to practice the hazard perception questions. (and dont forget you can sell your stuff on again once you have passed).
    )

Thanks for this, it is always good to know. Like you say it is always good to practice the test questions. I also found a very reasonably priced interactive theory tests site. They use offical DSA questions and you get a good feel for the real test - so it is not as daunting.
    I am new to this so forgive me if I'm not allowed to post websites:
    http://www.selectall.co.uk

best wishes from Devon
  • jellycat40
    jellycat40 Posts: 820 Forumite
    Options
    My 17 year old daughter is learning at the mo. She has had about 16 hours so far and the test is booked for 11th May. She passed her theory.

We got her a car M reg Peugeot 306 for £475 and it was £575 to insure for one year 3rd party fire and theft. The benefit of doing this is to get her a no claims bonus so that when she get a more valuable car she will have the discount towards the premium. She is insured with Tesco.

Hope this helps, 2 grand to go on your insurance is ridiculous!

Louise
    Nobody is perfect - not even me.
  • tonyj100
    tonyj100 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Sorry but I have to agree with Dread. The highway code may explain what road sign means, but it doesnt spell out the implications of the sign. For example a hump back bridge has implecations for any driver, rider. A cattle sign, especially if you are a motorcylist has implecations not spelled out in the highway code. A good instructor would pass on this knowledge and experience, most dont seem to.

No offence meant

Tony
  • Pontoon
    Pontoon Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    valiant23 wrote:
    If you plan on helping the learner in your family with extra lessons Reg Vardy hire dual-controlled cars by the hour.

I plan on looking into that more when Mrs. V starts taking lessons.

HTH.

P.S. It may cost you more, but obviously your own car is 'safe'.

I checked out Arnold Clark for this about 3 months ago. I got quoted £9 per hour for sual controls with an extra charge of about 30p I think it was for every mile over 30 miles. Not that this would be an issue as a beginner isn't likely to be going that far at first.

Hope these help there are more locations, linked if you go here.
    Central Scotland
    england
    Terms and Conditions
    x21 :D
  • CT271265
    CT271265 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    borntoshop wrote:
    Anyone know if the Tesco clubcard deal is just for six lessons maximum or can you get more after?

I has used a number of these for my daughter in fact we started saving 18months before she was 17. It does mean you end up with loads of books and sim lessons too. But we gave (sold) the books and 'L' plates on to some of her friends, then she used all the sim and driving lessons.
    Tesco Clubcard Vouchers do make one big saving.
    Now all she needs is some practice and get that test passed !

Chris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport