Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    David Julie. I do not feel your post is relevant to this thread. Please repost on the pensions board. It is long, boring and rather a personal rant.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    excelpaul wrote: »
    David Julie. I do not feel your post is relevant to this thread. Please repost on the pensions board. It is long, boring and rather a personal rant.

I agree Paul, I have hit the spam button.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shucks, missed all the action. ;-)

Some of the recent posts also resonate with me. Almost three years ago, I was a passenger in a car that was hit side on (my side) by a drunken idiot going at high speed down a one-way street (the wrong way, of course).

That really gave me pause for thought and among other things prompted me to make a will! You never know what is round the corner, sometimes quite literally and although you might last until you're 90, I think there are fewer regrets associated with retiring early compared to retiring late (as long as the numbers make sense, of course). I figure if I live longer than expected, I'll just tighten my budget more.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    That really gave me pause for thought and among other things prompted me to make a will!
    Will, and Power of Attorney, I hope! In some ways the latter could be even more essential than the former ...

We're off to see DH's pensions adviser tomorrow. He stopped working not exactly from choice a few years ago and we've been living off my inheritance from my parents ... I'm still working, and not ready to give up but DEFINITELY not prepared to work more hours / get a better paid job. He's very busy, but none of the projects he's involved in ever seem to lead to any money for him, and none of the jobs he's applied for has led anywhere.

So last year we started drawing down some of his pension, but it's not enough. It's just occurred to me that it could be worth me drawing a stakeholder pension which, when it was set up, had my SRP being due from 60. I'm already getting my local government pension which is peanuts because I was only in the scheme for a couple of years.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • fatbeetle
    Options
    I fly back to Blighty tonight, to start my new life of humble retirement.

Wish me luck!!!
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »

Wish me luck!!!

Safe travels
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Safe travels
    And bring some sunshine with you please!!!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome back to the UK Fatbeetle welcome3.gif
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »

Wish me luck!!!

Hope it's not too humble (thinking of Uriah Heap!) but with lots of fun and enjoyment.
    Be prepared for grey days 'though- they are doing my head in. I want some sun!! :cool:
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome back Fat Beetle hope it is everything you wanted my dear .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport