Webhosting recommendations please

Options
2»

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm also "sort of" looking, in time for next summer. I have two accounts (one mine, one for a club) and they're with 1&1. I've had no problems, except that the basic hosting package went up to £72-odd per annum, which isn't terrible except when you compare it to how many club memberships it takes to pay for it, and to the idea that the site is really only for some basic publicity and domain-related email addresses.

For this year I transferred them to some different 1&1 accounts that I can get at 99p/month for the first year, but I suspect I may not be able to do that again next year, or rather it wouldn't be sensible to assume that I can.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    I'm also "sort of" looking, in time for next summer. I have two accounts (one mine, one for a club) and they're with 1&1. I've had no problems, except that the basic hosting package went up to £72-odd per annum, which isn't terrible except when you compare it to how many club memberships it takes to pay for it, and to the idea that the site is really only for some basic publicity and domain-related email addresses.

For this year I transferred them to some different 1&1 accounts that I can get at 99p/month for the first year, but I suspect I may not be able to do that again next year, or rather it wouldn't be sensible to assume that I can.

£72 is absurd for a couple of basic sites when there are good providers out there for around £25 a year.

1&1 and their pals just pray on the mass market who don't know any better. Most of that £72 will be paying for their glossy adverts in the tech magazines every week.
  • sekrapa
    sekrapa Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 11:03PM
    Options
    I use Vidahost, their basic starter pack should do you fine. £3.59 month or £34.80 per year. For this you can host up to 6 websites, 2gb storage, 25 mail boxes and you can install with 1 click Worpress, Magento, Opencart and Prestashop to name a few. Been with them a few years now and no problems so far.

Edit:
    Wrong link, now corrected.
  • Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be careful what seems cheap may also be expensive in year 2 take ipage for example they are less than £15 for the 1st year but come to renew it and it is £130+ 1&1 is very reasonably priced these days they use to be very expensive, they may still have you on your old pricing terms if so ring them up and see if they will offer you better on threat of leaving.

Also depending on your hosting skills you can rent a dedicated server (Google Kimsufi Servers) on shared hosting or dedicated, essentially you get your own server from £5 upwards and you can host as many sites as you like on there. I do host all my clients on a more advanced one but I also use the server for hosting a game with 100+ users active at any one time but if you do not know how to install your own OS remotely with Cpanel or similar then I wouldnt take this step. I use to be a godaddy customer and all though I believe they are premium pricing they are more of a premium service so I still recommend them.
    Blue host
    Ehost etc are good for wham bam thank you mam cheap affordable hosting but maybe not so user friendly for those new to the world of hosting.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My 50 webs aint badly priced then, compared to vida.

Its one thing i dont shop around with. It works.

I get to host 10 sites, unlimited 50webs subdomains, unlimited storage and data.
    I think it was £39 last renewal. So not extortionate
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• The_Ang
    The_Ang Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have moved hosting several times:
    Hostgator --> iPage--> Siteground--> A Small Orange, and finally, I love the recent one, A2.
    It is not easy to get the best. Usually, it works well in the first year, and then the next we just can asses. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure