Housing Benefit

Options
I receive partial housing benefit. I don't receive any out of work benefits as I have an occupational pension and spousal maintenance and use this to live and pay bills. My income is over the AET of £338. This resulted in a light touch approach but now I have been informed that I have to commit to applying for work. I am doing this at the moment but am a bit anxious that if something went wrong then I could be sanctioned. As I receive no out of work benefits can my housing benefit be sanctioned.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 November 2018 at 11:19AM
    Options
    I've never heard of AET and work search requirements in respect of Housing Benefit, will be interested to see what others say.

Are you actually getting help with your rent through Universal Credit? This is not the same as Housing Benefit. If you are on UC I think you can be required to look for work if your earnings are below the AET (regardless of other income). If you are sanctioned the sanction would be applied to your whole UC award including the housing costs element.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps the OP is on Universal Credit and means the housing element.
  • calcotti
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP is on Universal Credit and means the housing element.

That's what I wondered - editing my post at same time as yours!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Mrsme_2
    Options
    Thank you to both, yes I am on Universal Credit. It is just a bit confusing as I have read that rent does not get sanctioned then read elsewhere that it does. I don't understand how earnings of £338 count but income over this does not, or for what reason. It really is mind boggling lol.
  • calcotti
    Options
    The fundamental government approach behind Universal Credit is that if you are capable of work and do not have other responsibilities you should aim to be in work so that the state does not need to support you. The AET is an administrative earnings threshold, unearned income does not therefore reduce the expectation that you should look for work.

Because the housing element is within UC which is all one benefit a sanction can result in reduction or loss of the housing element (a significant change from what went before when housing benefit was a separate benefit from, say, JSA and not subject to sanctions.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My understanding is that (in theory) only the standard allowance is subject to sanctions. But if the claimant has deductions and / or loan repayments, then sanctions can eat into the other UC elements such as housing.

A discussion here:
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/4129/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure