Direct Debit

Options
can i have advise please.

i have been led to belive that i had been paying a diret debit from my acount for 1 year it was towards a hire of a hall which is run through the council,and every month they sent a statment and a sheet stating that it would be taken from my bank,to cut a long storie short they rang today to say that i hadnt paid a direct debit for one year,where do i stand on this,it was a hall hire for 3 session a week boxercise,this will add up to over 1000 and though i said i would get back to them.i am not sure if i can pay it....help

Comments

• lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :hello:
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You owe them the money, they could argue that you should have been leaving that portion of money in your account each month to pay for it so give it to us now. Probably best approach would be to ask them to allow you to pay them back over instalments
  • facetheglue
    facetheglue Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you owe them the money, if the direct debit hasn't been coming out it's still your responsibility to make sure you're paying.
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could check with your bank to see if the DD was ever set up, or if it was not set up correctly and thats why its not been taken out.

It may be that the direct debit is set up your end, and the collecting bank has not done its job proerly.

I would also query why its taken them a whole year before they have contacted you about not recieving payments, why on earth would they send you out a monthy invoice each month if it was not coming out.

However yes, I guess you still owe the money, and unfortunatly due to an error somewhere, its now one big bill rather than a small monthly chunk.

If it is an administration error or banking error there may be some room to negotiate payment, but you would need to know where the communictaion broke down and whos responsible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure