ex refuses to comply with consent order

Options
Hi,

Need some advice please.

What can I do if my ex refuses to comply with the consent order?
We both agreed that he transfer the ownership of the house to me and I'll continue to live there with our 10 year old son.

There's a bit that say I can't sell the house until he turns 18 but if I managed to buy him out and removed his name from the mortgage, he won't get anything from the house sale (if I sell it before our son turns 18). I have no plans to sell the house anytime soon.

I did buy him out with the help of my family and managed to gety approval for remortgage. Now, my ex refuses to sign the paperwork because he said it's not part of the agreement??

I know I should seek legal advice for this but I can't really afford it right now. What's the point of consent order if at the end of the day he refuses it?

What to do if the worst case scenario happens? (ex refuses to sign) I heard you need to take it up to court? Who's the one need to apply? Me or my ex?

Please advise.

Many thanks.

San

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Head over to wikivorce as they deal with these types of queries daily (divorce, consent orders, what to do and how much it costs).
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what i can understand your buying your ex out of the house and his name is to be removed from the house deeds at this point?

If this is the case you treat it like a normal house purchase and you pay him his share on the day you remortgage into your sole name.
    My ex wife tried to get me to sign the TR1 without paying me my share and i refused.

Have you tried to get your ex to sign the house over without paying him his share?
    If so i don’t blame him for refusing.

Get your solicitor to write to him comfirming purchase price and how he will be paid etc, he should also have a solicitor acting for him.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I totally agree with mark5
    If you want an ending to this, pay your ex what his portion of the house and move on.
    Just bear in mind that you cannot have it both ways. I would refuse to sign too if my ex was trying to pull the wool over my eyes.
    It's best to have a clean break, no ifs or buts.
    I gave my ex a clean break and even gave him a bit more than he was entitled to because (1) I wanted to move on with my life and (2) I was not going to spend a lot of unnecessary time and money between solicitors who in the end are the only persons to gain.
    I would say think long term because in the end your sanity and peace of mind is what counts.
  • jamiehelsinki
    Options
    Does the consent order say he’s to sign the house over to you or does it say you should buy your ex out for a set amount and the house will be put in your name?
  • sanova76
    sanova76 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've already gave my ex a lump sum and he agreed to hand over the house ownership to me as stated in the order. The order did mention I need to give him extra £15K if his name stays on the mortgage ( if I'm unable to remove it) when/if I sell the house.
    But, if I could removed his name from the mortgage to my sole name only, he won't get a penny!

We thought I won't be able to remortgage due to my income when we made the order hence the £15K agreement. But I managed to get an approval from the bank. We've discussed about this and he was OK with it. He was adamant to get his name removed from the mortgage because he doesn't want to be liable for payments. I've been paying for the mortgage by myself for the last 5 years, even when we're still together.

I really don't know what to do if he refuses to sign. If it's about the money, I've already gave him the lump sum. I've no plan to sell the house. He's not contributing any money towards the mortgage.

I'm really stress right now.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Definitely one for wikivorce.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You would have to apply to the court, as you are the one seeking to enforce the order.

It may be worth your while t get a solicitor's letter sent to him first, setting out the terms of the order and making clear that if you have to apply to court to enforce it, you will ask the court to order him to pay your costs as wwell.

Are you saying that you have already paid him the lump sum? Normally, like with any other house sale, it would only be paid on completion so he wouldn't get it without signing all of the paperwork.

If what happened was that you paid him one lump sum striaght away, and then had a set period of time within which you could get him off the mortgage then it is a little bit more complicated - hpwever, check the specifc wording of the order and get some advice . It is likely to be worth your whiole to see a solicitor initially even if you then make the application to court yourself.

Ultimately, a court can make an order to let a Judge sign in his place, if he refuses, but that is very much a last resort and you may well find that a firm letter from a solicitor is all you need.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • sanova76
    Options
    I paid my ex the lump sum as part of the divorce agreement.

We've agreed, I gave him the money and he'll transfer the house ownership to me.

He wants his name off the mortgage which I'm doing now, so why refused?

He's just trying to make my life difficult :angry:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may have paid him the lump sum but what about the 15k? Is that what is being disputed?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sanova76
    Options
    He get £15K only if I sell the house. I've no plan to sell it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure