euro car hire - car scratched by others and not my fault

Options
Hi,

My car's door was scratched by a car parked beside when the that car's door opened. I found this when I came out from a shop and the car beside has gone.

Am I usually responsible for this scratch? This is outrageous

I have rang the customer services and they said I have to talk to the branch which is closed now

would anyone has similar experience? I return it tomorrow any way should I then tell them this when returning? Or should I call the customer service again and log an accident?

Thanks

Comments

• slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some rentals have a minimum size of about 40mm.
    If the damage falls within 40mm then they won't charge you.
    Or so they say.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had this with Enterprise this week. Because the scratch was shallow enough to be polished out I wasn't charged.
    They probably need to see and assess it before they can say either way.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • cidfenmaria
    cidfenmaria Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2018 at 4:13PM
    Options
    It's a line around 1 X 50cm in length and quite shallow, someone suggest to use a touch up pen. I am hesitating as it's not my fault
  • elsien
    edited 12 August 2018 at 4:18PM
    Options
    I thought about that, but I decided if they spotted it it would look worse that I'd not reported it so I decided to be honest. Worked for me, may not with other hire companies. It was less than 50cm though.

What does your contract say about damage liability? Even if you didn't make the scratch it was still damaged while in your care. Did you take out any extra insurance to cover the possibility?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a line around 1 X 50cm in length and quite shallow, someone suggest to use a touch up pen. I am hesitating as it's not my fault

A half metre scratch! That's a fair old "Scratch".
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi,

My car's door was scratched by a car parked beside when the that car's door opened. I found this when I came out from a shop and the car beside has gone.

Am I usually responsible for this scratch? This is outrageous

I have rang the customer services and they said I have to talk to the branch which is closed now

would anyone has similar experience? I return it tomorrow any way should I then tell them this when returning? Or should I call the customer service again and log an accident?

Thanks

If that really is CM rather than MM, and the "scratch" is nearly one foot 8 inches long that sounds more like the sort of crease you get when one car door is flung or banged against another, and will certainly need repair.

Like others I hope you took out any damage waivers and excess waivers you were offered otherwise this scratch may become expensive for you.

Sorry.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am hesitating as it's not my fault

It may not be your fault but it is your responsibility as you had the car in your care at the time. Unless you can find the person who caused the damage and recover the cost from them then it'll be you that has to pay it, which is why you take out insurance.
  • cidfenmaria
    Options
    f that really is CM rather than MM, and the "scratch" is nearly one foot 8 inches long that sounds more like the sort of crease you get when one car door is flung or banged against another, and will certainly need repair.

=================
    no it's not like that as the dent is not noticable. The line is very straight and there is a small dent at one end which you won't notice unless you come close enough. But you will see the line easily. I had a look at it again and start to doubt whether it's from door of other car.

What is CM/MM btw.
  • elsien
    Options
    Centimetres and millimetres.

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The chance of you doing a decent job with a touch up pen that won't be noticed is near zero.

Maybe one of the coloured wax products could work?

Why didn't you take out appropriate insurance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure