What insurance should cover balcony doors in a Flat?

Options
I recently bought a flat with a balcony door which was always a bit dodgy since I moved in, but now requires some repair work as the handle isn't working at all. I am wondering whether damage of any kind to the doors might be covered by either the buildings insurance which is included in the service charge, or if it would fall under contents insurance... or is this neither of those?

More generally, I think this is my responsibility to pay for rather than the building manager getting it fixed through insurance... but I would like for some advice on how to make sure this is the case before I go ahead and shell out hundreds of pounds (~£800 based on quotes I've had so far) of my own money to get the door fixed.

The question about insurance is also to cover us in case the contractor who comes in to make repairs ends up doing any more expensive damage, as this is already an expensive problem to be having.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Insurance won't cover this (what you need to claim on is any guarantee or warranty that came with the doors)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But if it had been covered then the answer would have been Buildings insurance.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As others have mentioned, such items are not covered by insurance. To answer your other query, any contractor doing work for you should have their own liability insurance should any damage occur whilst working in your home.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • josephryanwynne
    Options
    This is pretty much what I expected. Just thought it was sensible to check with some uninterested parties.

Thanks everyone who replied!
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy replacement parts online & DIY the job yourself.
    Try Youtube for a how to fit video.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    As others have mentioned, such items are not covered by insurance. To answer your other query, any contractor doing work for you should have their own liability insurance should any damage occur whilst working in your home.
    The items are covered by buildings insurance, it's the peril that is not covered as it is wear and tear and not an insured peril.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I recently bought a flat with a balcony door which was always a bit dodgy since I moved in, but now requires some repair work as the handle isn't working at all.

Just to double check... is this a newbuild flat (and/or built within the last 2 years)?

Most newbuilds come with a 2 year builder's warranty. If the handle was faulty (as opposed to damaged through misuse), it may be covered by that warranty.
  • thrifty_pete
    Options
    It would be worth reading the lease to see who actually owns the doors / windows. If I remember correctly, I had a flat where the windows were owned by the leaseholders. So when the double glazing units filled up with water we had to pay someone to replace them. I think theoretically that would mean we had to paint them ourselves, but the mangement company arranged that and put it on the service charge (along with the window cleaning). As the balcony doors only serve your flat, it will probably say in your lease who is responsible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure