PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 11:25AM
    Options
    At a micro-community level local Facebook pages are indeed useful - for all the sort of roads are shut here/this incident happening there type stuff. I read several nearby ones to be kept informed.

Though I was shocked to see there can be a downside recently to them - ie an incident in a Pembrokeshire village that made the national newspapers of "The Middle Ages are calling - they want their mob justice back". Total shocker of a mob gathering to administer "mob justice" outside the home of someone that may or may not be innocent (but even if they aren't innocent - those methods of dealing with things should remain in the history books). In the middle of the night there had to be a heavy police contingent to deal with the mob. The "Middle Ages mob justice" had been summoned by a Facebook post:eek:. That was horrifying .....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Part of community participation is in receiving as well as giving and being sensible enough to take the help offered when you need to. He Who Knows got that horrible virus earlier in the year that led to a deep, deep horrible cough and torn muscles for him, and others of us who post here, it also led to a hernia poor old lad. This morning he was contacted by the hospital with the date for his repair operation and because he's always done things as and when needed for people who live here his mobile phone has been ringing non stop today as word got around with people offering to come to the hospital after the op and collect us and bring us home, so many it's touching. That's the up side of being a functioning and participating member of any community and is a thing of joy and we're extremely grateful for peoples kindness.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh Lyn, how lovely. Wishing him well :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Oh Lyn, you and He Who Knows have well-earned your neighbours' kindnesses. Do be sure to accept them, too. Good wishes for his recovery.

I've been bustling around my life and was amused to reflect on how established I have become in my little niches in this city. I didn't grow up here, although I was born and raised only about 30 minutes' up the road, so didn't have the experience of being schooled here. The people I know are all people I've acquired as adult pals and acquaintances over the past quarter-century.

One passer-by on the cycle path remarked last week because I was walking (my bike is off the road atm, gets a wheel re-build next week) and he wasn't even someone I knew by sight, but I'd obviously become a part of the mobile scenery during all the years I've been pedalling up and down that path.

My city is relatively small beer as cities go, and there are parts of it which I've never once set shoe leather or bike tyre into, but there are other parts where I am a known quantity, especially in one quaint neighbourhood where several pals and acquaintances keep shops and stalls, which can make any trip down that particular road delightfully long-winded, as we touch base with each other.

:p I reckon I'm a very small fish in a very small pond, but I'm happy like that.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I really do think this world is getting stranger and odder as time goes by! We have the MSN newsfeed as the first page when I log in and increasingly there are articles from various sources advising what you should be or should not be eating or drinking to get various results. Today they are talking about probiotic water ..... where on earth did that come from as a thought? what on earth has happened to the thought that you eat and drink to stay alive??? I shudder to think of what might happen to a fair proportion of the western world who live on 'clean food' and have spirulina and grass juice shakes as meal replacements should we actually find ourselves in a situation that altered the world as we know it.....where HAS common sense gone to???
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Someone on Zerohedge suggested bottling Tritium infused seawater at Fukushima and selling it to 'Progressives' at $8 a bottle. :)
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    I dunno Lyn, but I've started eating Greek yogurt with naturally-occurring probiotics in it and am amazed at how much better my digestive system is feeling and behaving as a result!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 July 2017 at 10:57AM
    Options
    Eeeeeekkkk, glow in the dark people??? would save on the electricity bills at night but sadly only for a very short time I fear!

Posted at exactly the same time as you IVY! in food and if it helps and makes you feel better and improves your digestion all and well but water? that's a very strange thought and I bet they're charging stupid money for the product. Merchandising is an amazing field and always there will be plausible and convincing ways to part people from their hard earned cash won't there?
  • ivyleaf
    Options
    Eeeeeekkkk, glow in the dark people??? would save on the electricity bills at night but sadly only for a very short time I fear!

Posted at exactly the same time as you IVY! in food and if it helps and makes you feel better and improves your digestion all and well but water? that's a very strange thought and I bet they're charging stupid money for the product. Merchandising is an amazing field and always there will be plausible and convincing ways to part people from their hard earned cash won't there?

Sadly that's very true :(
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I try hard not to get taken in by faddy eating but actually, as regards water, I do look for bottled water with higher than average levels of calcium and magnesium as it is one of the most useful sources. I started doing it for my girls when they were small, mixing it with squash to try and limit fizzy drinks - coke etc is full of phosphoric acid which leaches calcium from bones. Now I do it for me. Making sure I get enough magnesium makes a big difference to my digestive comfort as well as making sure as much calcium as possible gets absorbed
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure