PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Some will probably go feral and attempt to rob those who have anything of value.

Others will go foraging for crisps and donuts in the hedgerows and be orfully surprised to find loads of unidentifiable green things instead.

I shall be OK for saladings, since I know my wild plants, which includes knowing what the heck to leave well alone.

Have been eating a lot of 'fat hen' lately. Very nutritious and sows itself all over my allotment. Beats the heck out of rubbish like iceberg lettuce. ;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What would be considered of value in that situation though? materia wouldn't be worth a whisper and if they didn't know what the equipment you have is for they wouldn't consider it worth taking. Would they value books I wonder, seeds, a flint and steel, a good piece of string, a snare, even the humble pack of sewing needles and safety pins.....they're welcome to all the jewellery, clothing, make up, money, electronic gadgets etc. in existence for all the good it would do them but I think if it has no 'modern' value they'd just ignore it and take the worthless things.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure my knees are up to coping with a knees up. But I will cheer you all on from the sidelines
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Not sure my knees are up to coping with a knees up. But I will cheer you all on from the sidelines

Mmm, that sounds a better idea for me too :D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I think too MrsL, that attitude is the one main help we preppers have. The ability to think otuside the box, to envisage life without the daily shower/organic food delivery/hair straighteners/false nails :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I must admit to not letting anyone in real life actually know I'm a prepper, I knew one lady in the village who was like minded and raised the subject with me he bus one day but they have moved now, a couple of years ago and I thought the sensible thing was to keep it to myself for the future. Everyone knows we grow things, everyone knows we have the wood stove and will take any wood of any kind and I try to cultivate goodwill by sharing our surpluses of fruit and veg with those who take them willingly, we also don't mind people knowing we make the cider, in fact most of our apples come from windfall donations and we share out some of the cider to folks who contribute BUT I've never let anyone see the equipment or the survival tins and bug out bags, never will either so in an emergency we might get people coming to check out if we have stored veg but nothing else. I keep escape plans close to my chest and escape routes I'd use because very selfishly I'd like there to be the best chance for us to get clear unhindered if anything kicks off locally! Here is the only place I feel 'appropriate' to share thoughts, ideas and information, I remember the mockumentary where the guy who shouted he was a prepper was totally turned over by all the people who weren't but knew he had stuff'!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Today I overheard a couple of ladies complain that the new supermarket in town was rubbish because, although there was enough stock for their needs, the shelves were not stocked full so therefore scruffy and not a good enough shopping experience for them. Each to their own and they have every right to express their views but I did think immediately that I think 'first world problems' are really quite ugly.

I am coming up against some quite traditional views at the moment as I move closer to getting an allotment. One retired gent repeatedly asks me "What do you want an allotment for? You're too busy being a housewife. You won't have time. They're for retired men with nothing better to do with their time." I have tried the "Because I want to feel useful" or "I'd like to just potter" but really I want to say "So I can feed my family if all I had to my name was time, skill and seeds" but I don't feel I can because of the ridicule I got for installing a multifuel stove when I can flick a switch or using half my small yard for a wood and coal store when it's taken up the sun part that flowers will grow in.

So many people don't understand my ethos of trying to just look after myself and my family and that I've lost a lot in the past and realised very quickly that the only safety net I have are my wits, my determination, my skill and my mental (and now physical!) health, and that's ok, but why do we ridicule something we don't understand?

I suppose I've just done it with the ladies who didn't like a shopping experience. Their 'problems' aren't what I would consider a problem. Their importance isn't what I would consider important. I don't understand and it's so alien to me I don't want to understand. I felt like scoffing 'call that a problem!' I'll be honest and I guess that's what happens to us. I think to have our kind of ethos, without wanting to judge everyone, we may have experienced a negative time in our lives so connect emotionally. I think that's the difference between being able to brush stuff off and taking offence.

I just hope that we continue to be in the minority. Long may we continue to be misunderstood... it'll be easier for everyone!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Their opinions and attitudes don't matter FUDS, have no meaning or relevance in your life and no influence over what you think, feel, hold dear or value or indeed over who you are and what your ideals are. I find much the same attitudes down here even in the village but I've been doing my own thing in life regardless of anyone else so long they've gotten used to me. I don't mind being the village eccentric, the odd one because of how we choose to live our lives, they don't understand but are prepared to look on us with benign tolerance and mild affection because we've earned our place here and are useful when people need help. Be true unto thine own self little one, stay on the course that you choose for the reasons you choose it and ignore those subtle and not so subtle influences and voices from outside that dissent, they have no power over you. Live well, live happily best of all live the way you want to!!!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We are not here to please other people. We are here to look after our families and ourselves. End of :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    We are not here to please other people. We are here to look after our families and ourselves. End of :)

.............Crikey!:eek:

Note to self - why did I bother to help out with various community things over the last month and be the one that sorted out (all on my own) 3 different community problems? All now successfully resolved - but two of them at least wouldnt be if I hadnt bothered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure