IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter of Claim - Residential Parking Space

Options

Comments

• Drivebycar
    Drivebycar Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Are you an owner or a tenant? What does your lease/AST say about parking? Does it say that a permt is required to park?

I am an owner. The Management Agency are sending me all lease clauses regarding parking so I will post these once I get it through.

Thanks for the link I had been on the parking pranksters site and it has a couple of similar examples which will be useful.
  • Drivebycar
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Is the LBC for all four, or just three?

One thing I would tackle if the LBC isn't for all of them, is to reply to BW Legal and state that they appear to have missed one and that if their client thinks they have a claim then they can't issue more than one Claim for a matter turning on the same facts.

And show them your lease/agreement that allows you to park and which is silent about displaying a permit, but as a matter of courtesy, driers of your car do display it in the front side window in full view, and clearly their client deliberately fails to check all windows for the permit.

I have received 3 LBCs with three different dates of contravention and account numbers, so one contravention seems to be missing.

Thanks for the advice so far
  • Drivebycar
    Options
    Also, here is the response from the management agent so far:

!!!8220;Good afternoon

I have attached two sections of the lease relating to Car Parking, a plan of the site giving space numbers and a RESIDENCEXX Management Co from the developer which allocates spaces to apartments. (Have covered other spaces ref GPDR)

(Please see the clause attachment here)
    hxxp://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg500/Drivebycar/A17FD749-713A-47A1-8EDF-14F7623B136B.png

It appears that the contract with NTC for RESIDENCEXX is a call out basis not a patrol basis. This means that someone should only call them out if someone is parked in their space. Obviously, you are parked in your own space so nobody should have called them out.

I can only find an out of date contract here but it was call out only and specified no to patrolling.!!!8221;

I also need to check my lease paperwork as I believe there is a different paragraph in there on car parking. I will post this when I have it.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    If you actually own the space you could be on a nice little earner.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?377246-UKPC-liable-for-trespass-**SUCCESS**
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Drivebycar
    edited 29 July 2018 at 12:17PM
    Options
    I will have the final part of the lease info soon to have my evidence.

In the mean time I was going to use the recommended response from the newbies section to get all the info, however I wanted to wait for any advice as to any amendments or additions before sending:

Dear Sirs,

I am in receipt of your Letter Before Claim of 26th September 2017.
    Your letter contains insufficient detail of the claim and fails to provide copies of evidence your client places reliance upon.

As proceedings have not been issued, if your client intends to pursue the matter further they are on notice that since 01 October 2017 a protocol is applicable. Your letter lacks specificity and therefore this letter should be treated as a formal request for all of the documents / information that the protocol now requires your client to provide. Further, I trust that no proceedings will be issued without complying with that protocol. I reserve the right to draw any failure of the Claimant to comply with the protocol to the attention of the court when costs come to be considered.

This action on the part of your client is a clear breach of its pre-action obligations set out in the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct, with which as solicitors you must surely be familiar (and with which your client, a serial litigator of small claims, must also be familiar). As you (and your client) must know, the Practice Direction binds all potential litigants, whatever the size or type of the claim. Its express purpose is to assist parties in understanding the claim and their respective positions in relation to it, to enable parties to take stock of their positions and to negotiate a settlement, or at least narrow the issues, without incurring the costs of court proceedings or using up valuable court time. Quite frankly, I find it astounding that a firm of Solicitors are sending a consumer a vague and unevidenced 'Letter before Claim' just days before the pre-action Protocol changes.

Nobody, including your client, is immune from the requirements and obligations of the Practice Direction.

I require your client to comply with its obligations by sending me the following information/documents:

1. an explanation of the cause of action
    2. whether they are pursuing me as driver or keeper
    3. whether they are relying on the provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA 2012
    4. what the details of the claim are; where it is claimed the vehicle was parked, for how long, how the monies being claimed arose and have been calculated
    5. Is the claim for a contractual breach? If so, provide a copy of that contract bearing my signature. Or is the claim for trespass? If so, provide details.
    6. a copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring the claim, as required by the IPC code of practice section B, clause 1.1
    7. a plan showing where any signs were displayed
    8. details of the signs displayed (size of sign, size of font, height at which displayed)
    9. Details of the additions to the original charge, what that represents and how it has been calculated.

I am clearly entitled to this information under paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c) of the Practice Direction. I also need it in order to comply with my own obligations under paragraph 6(b).

If your client does not provide me with this information then I put you on notice that I will be relying on the cases of Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch), Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20) !!!8211; Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872, Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited [2007] EWHC 855 in asking the court to impose sanctions on your client and to order a stay of the proceedings, pursuant to paragraphs 13 ,15(b) and (c) and 16. I will draw to the court the fact that I have expressly requested this information since as early as [date or month/year of first request] yet your client has refused to provide it, saying that it will not do so until this matter reaches the court.

Until your client has complied with its obligations and provided this information, I am unable to respond properly to the alleged claim and to consider my position in relation to it, and it is entirely premature (and a waste of costs and court time) for your client to issue proceedings. Should your client do so, then I will seek an immediate stay pursuant to paragraph 15(b) of the Practice Direction and an order that this information is provided.

Yours faithfully
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As you have 4 tickets you should question the DVLA as to who obtained your details (using your VRM) and when. The PPC needs to have accessed your data on 4 separate occasions in order to invoke Keeper Liability. Give that date range from the first parking incident to 28 days past the fourth incident.

Email the DVLA giving your full name and postal address, the full name and address on the V5C (logbook) and the vehicle's registration mark (VRM).

SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Turning to your response to the LBC - could you give us the date of the post from which you copied that, because some of the references in your reply have been superseded.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Drivebycar
    edited 29 July 2018 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    As you have 4 tickets you should question the DVLA as to who obtained your details (using your VRM) and when. The PPC needs to have accessed your data on 4 separate occasions in order to invoke Keeper Liability. Give that date range from the first parking incident to 28 days past the fourth incident.

Email the DVLA giving your full name and postal address, the full name and address on the V5C (logbook) and the vehicle's registration mark (VRM).

SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Turning to your response to the LBC - could you give us the date of the post from which you copied that, because some of the references in your reply have been superseded.

Thank you for the advice, I have emailed the DVLA as suggested.

I took the template from the post on the Newbies sticky. However when checking again I have now replaced the letter above with the updated wording.

Do I need to mention any other points at this stage or just send this and wait to make a second response?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Drivebycar wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice, I have emailed the DVLA as suggested.

I took the template from this post on the newbies advice - hxxps://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72358831#post72358831

The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Collection has superseded some of this.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/pdf/protocols/debt-pap.pdf

Do a forum search on 'LBC PAP' and look to one which includes the PAP references.

Also, practising solicitor Loadsofchildren123 has produced/guided a number of responses to LBCs, so your other search should be on 'Loadsofchildren123 PAP'.

The changes took place in October 2017, so only check out posts which have a later date.
    HOW TO USE THE FORUM SEARCH FUNCTION:

Use the Forum Jump button (one near the top and one near bottom of this page) to get back to the forum thread list. Just above the threads, on the right, is a heading along a line, next to forum tools, called 'Search this Forum'. Put your key word(s) in and change the default search from 'Show Threads' to 'Show Posts'.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Drivebycar
    Options
    Thanks for that, I have now amended the above post to an example given after October 2017 to include the new protocol.
  • Drivebycar
    Options
    Does the above response look good for a first step? Then bring all the evidence / defence in on the next contact?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure