Travel Money

Options
Hi
This is my first time on a forum and I’m hoping someone can help me.
I go away to turkey in a couple of weeks and am not sure how best to take money. The prepaid cards recommended on the site are for euros, however the post office one has Turkish Lira on it. The exchange rate is much better for Lira and the advice seems to be to go for local currency where ever possiable.
What should I do?

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Turkey don't use euros so why would you take them? Take lira or sterling.
    :p
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Apply for https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ and use it to get cash from ATMs on arrival and for paying for goods and services.
    Starling/Mastercard rate for yesterday was 6.176 to the £. Post Office can't get anywhere close to that and don't think about changing Pounds for Lira in the UK.
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2018 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Take sterling ,you always get a better exchange rate locally. I live in North Cyprus (locally currency is TL ) todays exchange rate 6.18
    https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=TRY
  • Ren29
    Ren29 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I!!!8217;m traveling in a couple of weeks too and I was told to take Euros, as the people prefer these, especially in the bazaar, help, what would you take? Also if all
    Inclusive for 2 weeks, how much spending money would you take? Any help is appreciated
  • Ren29
    Options
    I’m traveling in a couple of weeks to Turkey and I was told to take Euros, as the people prefer these, especially in the bazaar, help, what would you take? As the exchange rate from GBP to Euros is really bad. Also if all
    Inclusive for 2 weeks, how much spending money would you take? Any help is appreciated
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Ren29 wrote: »
    I!!!8217;m traveling in a couple of weeks too and I was told to take Euros, as the people prefer these, especially in the bazaar, help, what would you take? Also if all

Why would you imagine that the advice for you would be different than what I offered to the OP?
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m traveling in a couple of weeks to Turkey and I was told to take Euros, as the people prefer these, especially in the bazaar, help, what would you take? As the exchange rate from GBP to Euros is really bad. Also if all

Be careful at in bazaars in tourist areas in Turkey. It doesn't matter what currency you use [even Lira], you'll probably get fleeced. Shop around, don't accept the first price.....even better shop at local shops away from the in your face tourist areas.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    to Turkey and I was told to take Euros, as the people prefer these,
    Ignore such foolish advice, Turkish lire is the national currency, discuss price in no other format. If traders 'prefer' euros it's because they can inflate the price more easily, they don't mind if you already lost money buying them with pounds.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Ignore such foolish advice, Turkish lire is the national currency, discuss price in no other format. If traders 'prefer' euros it's because they can inflate the price more easily, they don't mind if you already lost money buying them with pounds.

A lot of tourist areas will only have goods priced in €uros, that can be a bit of problem, especially for a new arrival or those that leave their commonsense back at the airport. You need to know what the current €uro to Lira exchange rate is in order to discuss accurately

I wanted a couple of leather belts at the tourist market in Side in February. The belts were priced in €uros, so I said how much in Turkish Lira? The bloke got his calculator out, pressed a few buttons and told me.....he was way off the mark, and not only that, the belts were overpriced. Do your homework, shop around, and pay in Turkish Lira.

Ditto on little things like the dolmus [shared mini-bus]. The driver will take €uro, but it'll be more than what you'd pay in TL.

If you use a taxi, and only have a big note to pay with, make sure you tell the driver the denomination of the note. That'll avoid any 'misunderstanding.

Pay for your drinks as you go.....no surprise then when you get the bill. If you're in a restaurant check that the drink prices are on the menu.

Buy a bottle of wine with your meal.....ensure they 'cork' the bottle in front of you.

When you change cash at a kiosk, make sure you check what you've been given is correct before leaving the counter. Don't accept torn notes.....they won't, why should you? Don't let the exchange bloke touch the money again after he's counted it out to you.

Turkey is a great country for a holiday, don't get caught out by little things that could spoil it.
  • Ren29
    Options
    That’s very helpful, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business