Paid By Bank Transfer But No Goods - Options ?

Options
Hello everyone.

I recently saw an advert on ebay for a car spares (breaking etc). I called the number in the add and a guy answered and basically they said they have the parts I need and we agreed on £160 delivivered.
Rather than put them on ebay he said I can pay by bank transfer as it will be quicker so I did so using my online account.
Well 2 weeks later and you guessed it nothing has turned up. I have 2 mobile phone numbers and after lots of phone calls I eventually got a text saying the items were with the courier company. I replied asking for the details and also said if I dont receive the items I would pursue him through the courts and I got a text back basically threatening me !!!
Now I am not worried by that but I have realised that I dont actually have his address.
All I have is his ebay name, 2 mobile numbers and his bank details.

Is this enough to get the police involved or shall I just swallow it ?

Comments

• Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Police probably won't do anything - if you want to pursue it get someone else to phone up about a different part and ask to go see it, you've then go this address and can pursue through the courts etc.

However, the guy does have your address and could turn out to be a nasty piece of work...
  • Hailz86
    Hailz86 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    call the police hun xx
    2012 Wins - Danepak Fridge Magnet, £20 Just Eat Voucher, iTunes Song Download, Yellow Toaster and Kettle, Thorntons Bunny, 6 Months Gym Membership, £250 Multipower Products, 3 X Dalepak Vouchers, 10 minute sunbed session, Lucozade Sport, 2 X BMI Flights, Android Zeemote,
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Police won't be interested in the" theft",it's contractual law,not a criminal offence,but may be interested in the threats.Do you have the text,what did it say?

Have you tried googling thenumbers?
  • Hailz86
    Options
    sorry i should have made it clear about the calling the police for the texts xx
    2012 Wins - Danepak Fridge Magnet, £20 Just Eat Voucher, iTunes Song Download, Yellow Toaster and Kettle, Thorntons Bunny, 6 Months Gym Membership, £250 Multipower Products, 3 X Dalepak Vouchers, 10 minute sunbed session, Lucozade Sport, 2 X BMI Flights, Android Zeemote,
  • Hailz86
    Options
    ill call him whats his number? xx
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Someone did this to me once (without the threats) when they didn't send me a pc I paid for by bank transfer.

I used the sort code to find out the bank and branch, wrote to the bank with the details and a couple of weeks later they wrote to me saying they had been in contact with their customer and were refundunding the money back to my account.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • BlueAngelCV
    BlueAngelCV Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need his address to go through the courts. You can actually serve proceedings by text message in sitations like this now.
    Wedding 5th September 2015
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need his address to go through the courts. You can actually serve proceedings by text message in sitations like this now.

I find it hard to believe that someone whos address you hadn't got,who had ripped you off would be able to receive a summons with no address on,then would take notice and appear at court.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I recently saw an advert on ebay for a car spares (breaking etc). I called the number in the add and a guy answered and basically they said they have the parts I need and we agreed on £160 delivivered.
    Rather than put them on ebay he said I can pay by bank transfer as it will be quicker so I did so using my online account.
    Well 2 weeks later and you guessed it nothing has turned up. I have 2 mobile phone numbers and after lots of phone calls I eventually got a text saying the items were with the courier company. I replied asking for the details and also said if I dont receive the items I would pursue him through the courts and I got a text back basically threatening me !!!
    Now I am not worried by that but I have realised that I dont actually have his address.
    All I have is his ebay name, 2 mobile numbers and his bank details.

Is this enough to get the police involved or shall I just swallow it ?

Bid on something off him via ebay, then you'll have his address.

Ebay has become a mecca for scammers.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills