Life Insurance

Options
Hi Everyone
Many years ago unbeknown to me and without my permission my wife took out a life policy, she had changed all the bank logging on details and so I could never see that this policy was being paid from my account which over the years came to over £12,000 I had paid, this all came to light after she had run off with another guy, I had very little funds left and so cut out things from my outgoings, I rang the company and said that I was cancelling and they basicly said, well thanks sucker you have just given us an extra bonus becuase we do not refund a single penny, Can they really do this, they do not have my signature on the form to take this policy out, I know they have not committed any offence but just taken the instructions on good faith, it is my wife who has committed the deception, but is there any way of me getting my hard earned money back again. The policy was taken out via a leaflet at the checkout in Tesco's. Please do not tell me I am stupid, I am already well aware of this.. Thanks.. Gerry

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you saying your ex setup a policy for herself that came out of your account and you did not read any bank statements for the next X number of years? Have you reported her to the police for fraud? This is the bare minimum you will have to do to get the insurers to take this seriously.

Also yes just because the policy wasn't used doesn't mean it should be refunded, they don't know it was dodgy. You paid it for so many years without question, they are obviously not going to believe it wasn't wanted without a serious complaint (which will require a crime reference)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't have a chance of getting anything

No paperwork has a signature these days if it's done online.

Tick box .....done
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I rang the company and said that I was cancelling and they basicly said, well thanks sucker you have just given us an extra bonus becuase we do not refund a single penny

I'm sure they said that.
    Can they really do this

Life assurance is pay as you go effectively. Each month the premium is paid you get another month of life assurance. You dont get refunds because you haven't died.
    they do not have my signature on the form to take this policy out,
    As is quite normal with many insurance policies nowadays. When was the last time you signed your house insurance or car insurance application?
    but is there any way of me getting my hard earned money back again.

you raise it as part of the divorce settlement discussion
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Gerryclark
    Options
    Hi Again,
    It would seem that I did not explain myself properly above.
    My now ex wife over the years stole tens of thousands of pounds from my personal account as well as commiting many acts of fraud and deception, this insurance policy that she took out in my name was probably the smallest amount in the great scheme of events, she changed all of the bank access details so that I could never see my account just saying if I asked, ''Oh why do you need to know, everything is OK'' I am now totally pennyless and exist only on my UK state pension, which is a pittance. I really could do with getting some of that Insurance money back, just to buy a pint of milk now and again. As the policy was taken out fraudulently why can I not get my money back. Effectively it is even more money that she stole from me, not the insurance company, but it is still fraud. Thank you... Gerry
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gerryclark wrote: »
    As the policy was taken out fraudulently why can I not get my money back.
    It was taken (allegedly) fraudulently by your ex-wife. That is not the fault of the insurance provider and they have no liability.

As before, if fraud has genuinely been committed, you need to take this matter up with the police. To be brutally honest, however, it doesn't sound as if you'd be able to make much of a case...

Sorry.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The fraud was committed by your ex wife. Police should be told.

were you divorced at the time the life assurance was set up?
    had you removed her from the bank account at the time the plan was set up?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gerryclark wrote: »
    Hi Again,
    It would seem that I did not explain myself properly above.
    My now ex wife over the years stole tens of thousands of pounds from my personal account as well as commiting many acts of fraud and deception, this insurance policy that she took out in my name was probably the smallest amount in the great scheme of events, she changed all of the bank access details so that I could never see my account just saying if I asked, ''Oh why do you need to know, everything is OK'' I am now totally pennyless and exist only on my UK state pension, which is a pittance. I really could do with getting some of that Insurance money back, just to buy a pint of milk now and again. As the policy was taken out fraudulently why can I not get my money back. Effectively it is even more money that she stole from me, not the insurance company, but it is still fraud. Thank you... Gerry

She changed all the details and locked you out of the account so why not change them back? Why not go to the bank and explain the situation? You keep going on about fraud - if it's fraud it should be reported to the police.

I will reiterate the earlier comment, you will have zero chance of a refund if you do not report her to the police for the crimes you say she has committed and use that crime reference to start a fraud complaint with the insurer, if you don't take it seriously with the intent to prosecute then they will just reject it. The fact so long has passed from this happening will also count against you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure