Add your feedback on energy supplier Npower

Options

Comments

• tbones1957
    Options
    I "switched" to npower in October 2013 & am now at the ombudsman stage with this bunch of halfwits. The computer system still doesn't accept meter reads after 4 months of trying. Complained, exexcutive complained, useless! I've given them numerous readings, even the initial one they claim to have read(no one has read the gas meter), and still they can't get it right. I have thus far paid £65.02 since October 2013 and am £65.02 in credit!! I had a bill for £52, but then it was removed. I had a bill for for £52, but then it was removed. I'm not repeating myself this is actually what happened!!!! Am on dual fuel & luckily I know exactly what I owe, but will not pay anything else until they let me move. You see, when you sign up with these idiots, they can't read your gas meter. The computer has no facility to register a gas account even though they tell you its there. You can see the account, but nothing goes in or out. I found a forumite who had this problem in April 2012, so you can see they are on the ball. This is just a small sample of the npower muppett show. If you join, enjoy the ride 'cos you can't get off. Oh and they don't tell you about the computer problems either!
  • TheOneINT
    Options
    NPower are terrible, never again for this customer!
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been with nPower for nearly 2 months now and my initial reading still doesn't appear on my online account, meaning I can't submit subsequent meter readings. :(
  • teflon
    teflon Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teflon wrote: »
    I signed up with nPower online back in October. It's taken over four months (and having to register a complaint) to get a contract out of them, and despite a rather large saving on the next cheapest supplier, I've decided I can't be bothered dealing with them if they're going to be this incompetent. I'm currently on hold (20 minutes so far) to cancel the switch and go with EbiCo instead. Sod the cashback, my time's worth more than that.
    For anyone waiting for npower to look into a complaint, some reassurance that they do get there eventually. I got a letter today saying they'd been trying to call me about my complaint (made on 10th January 2013, although the letter says 2014), so gave them a ring, and after half an hour on hold was offered £75 compensation. Added to the £20 of shopping vouchers they sent me a few months ago, I reckon that's not a bad haul given I was never actually a customer.
  • Inespa85
    Inespa85 Posts: 742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joined npower Oct 12 paying dd of £88 a month, no bills despite the fact I've phoned them regularly and given them meter readings.

Get a bill last month 16 months after I joined to tell me I owe them £300 odd pounds and my direct debit was now £159!

Having just left a temp role for a permenant role I couldn't afford that but they told me they couldn't stop it (even with over 2 weeks notice) to top it off the bill still hadn't calculated properly and I actually owed them £560!

Complaint sent! Waiting on their executive compalints team 2 weeks later

Not happy is an understatement. We're supplied readings, paid monthly etc we couldn't shop for a better rate or up our DD as we didn't know how much we were paying or owed....

How can they treat customers like this?!
  • Tjrw1985
    Tjrw1985 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Timeline of my switch to Npower:

Moved into a new build property in September and BG are the supplier.

11/09/13 - Search for a cheaper deal and come up with Npower online Fix Nov 14. Call Npower as I cannot do the switch online to complete the switch

25/10/13 - "Yes October" - No welcome pack received, so called them again and was told that they had been having problems but it will be sorted and will get pack soon.

30/11/13 - Receive pack detailing switch of electric will be 21st Dec and Gas will be 23rd Dec and asking for readings around these dates.

21/12/2013 - Called and provided opening meter readings, all seems ok.

20/01/2014 - Gas account still not live online, so called and was told will be sorted soon, and it was just taking a while. Re-confirmed opening readings on their "system" and gave up to date ones as on the phone.

05/02/2014 - Gas account appears with an opening reading of 189 units higher than what I supplied. Called and was told it was incorrect and would be passed to back office to correct.

18/02/2014 - Bill received from Npower. Readings still incorrect. called again and was told being sorted.

21/02/2014 - Comparison carried out and switch started to Ovo.

03/03/2014 - Letter received from complaints team saying they have been trying to call me. (They haven't) and to call them.

04/03/2014 -Final bill received from BG, with (yes you've guessed it) the wrong closing reading for the gas. Called Npower and requested a call back as at 8.01am the wait was over an hour. Call back received at 10.15am. Was told this would be sorted. And they are sorry, but will take a further 2 weeks.

Completely useless energy company that does not give a flying hoot about it's customers.

Just glad I am leaving them as there were no penalties to leave.
    Debt free as of 7.20am on 31st December 2012.

Wow. Feels great :j :beer:
  • superbigal36
    superbigal36 Posts: 734 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After a nightmare last september at 6 monthly review point.
    Basically readings in. Massive credit balance. Gonna refund you most of it and vastly increase your DD !!!!! ehhhhhhhhhhhh.
    I negotiated a particular refund and decrease on my DD to a level I had calculated.
    With trepidation on tuesday as I read my meter to allow N-Power to calculate my annual review.
    It is with both suprise and pleasure that a much more user friendly statement has been produced. It shows a small credit balance. A carefully calculated reduction in Direct Debit. Good info about consumption.
    Clear info that I can leave without penalty (Fixed Dec14 DD I am on).
    That piece of info which was much clearer than previous (Stated "possible £40 exit fees") prompted me to change to Fixed June 2015 DD which works fractionally cheaper and last longer.
    I did the change on the phone as the contract side of things online still looks more suited for "new" customers as opposed to those changing tarrifs.
    Online asks for all sorts of info that it already has !!!!!!!!!
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    snowcat53 wrote: »
    Further to my earlier posts (#111 ff) I deeply regret having touched npower with a bargepole. ALthough they told me (3 times) on the phone the switch had been cancelled, it had not and went ahead. One of these phone calls was in fact 3 days after the switch date as I later found.

They switched before the cooling off period had expired (within 5 days of their first contact 'we are ready to start providing you'). They have ignored earlier complaint emails and I have now sent another detailed complaint claiming erroneous transfer and substantial compensation.

Their staff clearly gave false reassurance but did not access the industry database whichg would have told them the switch had happened. They also failed to confirm by letter as they promised on the phone. The routine 45 min wait to get through is still true.

PLEASE avoid this company - they are an utter shambles.

And please Martin stop listing them in your cheap energy club. You are doing the public a disservice.

An update on this saga on my mother's erroneous transfer, misinformation and shambolic customer service.

After my formal complaint, they took a very long time to reply but then offered £40 off the bill. They also issued patronising warnings against bothering going to the Ombudman would be unlikely to achieve more, they only issue non-punitive awards, not intended to cover customer costs blah blah

I rejected the offer. Then no more until after the 8 weeks was up. I emailed I was now going to the Ombudsman and they then offered to write off the whole £250 bill. (as I had suggested)

So the lesson is complain in writing, know the system, don't be fobbed off and be prepared to follow through. Oh and dont go anywhere near npower
  • Gori
    Gori Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my recent Npower experience with you.

After months of endless telephone calls and e-mails with Npower customer services and complaints team at the beginning of February I decided to seek advice from my fellow MSE Forum members. Shortly after my posting, I was contacted by Npower company representative on this Forum. David took things in his own capable hands and sorted everything for me within a weeks. So, after waiting since August last year, I'm finally completed my switch to Npower and am on the right tariff. And not only that - this morning I received beautiful parcel full of yummy chocolates as a gesture of good will from Npower. I could not believe my eyes! :rotfl:

I'm really grateful for David's assistance in this matter and can't praise him enough :T

Gx
    *Reclaimed £110 remortgage fees :j
    **Reclaimed ££££ from Barclays PPI :T
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Moved into new property end Sept, it's with nPower, electricity only (Oil heating)

Early October, rang to arrange to set up DD, told it would be £50 a month but asked to pay £60 "just in case" Gave reads.

Early November, received a first reminder, no bill, ignored this as I was on DD so reminders are not relevant - I could see the DD was live on my internet banking account although they'd not claimed it yet.

End of November received a final demand, no second reminder - rang nPower who said sorry but DD not set up correctly so not claimed.

DD not taken again, but it did go through in January for £88 - didn't bother to ring them as the higher amount will make up for the missed payments.

So far since then no other issues.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family