Childs DLA for extreme eczema?

Options
We have been told we can claim child's DLA for our child who has extreme eczema and is unable to walk.

The local GP pushes a lot of very strong steroids and antibiotics which do help the symptoms but we think make the problem worse in the long run by damaging the Imune systems ability to heal.

Anyway, because we want to try natural therapy and reduce the steroids and drugs for a while we are prepared for things to get bad before they get better.

We have to go to school several times a day to apply creams and new bandages, we are both up several times a night.

We are going to apply for DLA but is the doctors report enough?

Can anybody suggest a good dermatologist who can offer more natural less harmful remady and also be able to provide the reports and nessasary paperwork for our DLA claim.
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Comments

• AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Has anybody got any experience applying for Dla for a child with eczema?

Is the doctors report enough which says extreme eczema?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DLA isn't given because of any particular diagnosis - it's based on the extra needs of the child above a healthy child of that age.

If you haven't claimed benefits before, it's worth getting help to fill out the forms.
  • AG47
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    DLA isn't given because of any particular diagnosis - it's based on the extra needs of the child above a healthy child of that age.

If you haven't claimed benefits before, it's worth getting help to fill out the forms.

Thanks so much, where can I get help?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Sometimes the charities related to the health issue have advice lines and factsheets to help with benefits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Would your GP not recommend someone you could see? A GP's report would help with DLA if they would do one, they often charge now. Might be worth getting an appointment with CAB who could help with DLA application.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've applied twice for the same person as a CAB form filler for a child with eczema. They were rejected on both applications through MR to appeal.

I told her I didn't think she had a chance but applied and did the appeals anyway because it's my job to and she wanted to.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you been referred to a dermatologist? If it is that extreme then you should have been.

Dermatologists are in a position to prescribe other treatment that is not open to GPS.

I suffer from severe psoriasis and none of the corticosteroids that the GP could prescribe touched it. I now come under a dermatologist and take Methotrexate, which GPs can't prescribe, It is now starting to clear up.
  • AG47
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    I've applied twice for the same person as a CAB form filler for a child with eczema. They were rejected on both applications through MR to appeal.

I told her I didn't think she had a chance but applied and did the appeals anyway because it's my job to and she wanted to.

What happened did she get it?

How serious was the eczema? Was it diagnosed as moderate or extreme?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    What happened did she get it?

How serious was the eczema? Was it diagnosed as moderate or extreme?

Nope she didn't. It was severe, she apparently had multiple creams etc. Needed bandages at times and bath soaks but was rejected as not needing more care and not having cognitive disabilities so did not need as much help as mum claimed. I applied when she was about 6 then again when she was almost 8.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've also helped with eczema claims in the dim and distant past and have never seen an award. One child had eczema so bad that she was creamed and rebandaged every lunch time at school and her finger joints would split open and weep when she had been writing and then stretched her hand out. She got no award even at tribunal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure