Private car sale - buyer unhappy.

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sound to me as if this boyfriend feels he needs to prove himself the hard man. All the empty threats and bluster on Facebook fits. He knows nothing can come of it but he needs to be seen to be trying.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When I sold my old Megane a couple of years ago, the buyer kept texting me asking questions about the car, like how to open the boot, have I noticed the rattle in the engine bay before, etc. I stopped replying after the 2nd text and they soon got the message pardon the pun.

It was a £200 banger full of niggles, not a pristine car in showroom condition.

Cease all contact unless you receive a small claims pack through the post.
  • bobbymotors
    Options
    Now you know they've sold it, why not 'relent' and agree to refund them?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 10:48PM
    Options
    Do not even contemplate replying and block the number.

He can correspond via sending a letter to the house he collected it from, and your FIL can pass it on.

You were honest when you sold it, the advisories were mentioned in the advert, they declined to test drive it, and the MOT info was available when they collected it. You would win any court claim.

How do you know they have definitely sold it on? (Rather than it just being listed on FB marketplace). Did you keep a copy of the advert?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How did they describe the car on FB marketplace? Did they state it wouldn't go into first and reverse gear??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • BlackyPFC
    Options
    I know they have sold it as the advert they listed has now been marked as sold. All seems to have gone quiet now so heres hoping they will stop contacting me.

Also, yes they did list gearbox in their advert. Didnt mention advisories though!
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Give me their details. I'll start messaging them pretending I'm the new unhappy buyer.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BlackyPFC wrote: »
    I know they have sold it as the advert they listed has now been marked as sold. All seems to have gone quiet now so heres hoping they will stop contacting me.

Also, yes they did list gearbox in their advert. Didnt mention advisories though!

Just out of interest, does the listing show a price?
  • BlackyPFC
    Options
    Yes £200. Not sure if they achieved this though.
  • BlackyPFC
    Options
    UPDATE-

So in an unusual twist, I recieved V5 paperwork today indicating that I am the current registered owner of the car. It seems that the buyer has given me the car back on December 27th!

This indicates that they have forged my signature in order to transfer the car in my name. The address is incorrect as it is registered now at my father in laws address.

I have contacted the police and Action Fraud. Who have logged everything. The DVLA are going to void the transfer when I return the papereork to them with a cover letter explaining thr situation. I will be sure to send evidence also.

So I now am the registered keeper of a car that I am not in possession of and have no idea where it even is! I just hope they are not racking up driving offences in my name!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure