Hand foot and mouth claim

Options
Hi.

After some advice. My 14 month old got hand foot and mouth after 2 days of our holiday with a TUI package. Ruined our holiday as he was so ill. I've heard of companies that claim no win no fee type thing. Has anyone else done This?

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi.

After some advice. My 14 month old got hand foot and mouth after 2 days of our holiday with a TUI package. Ruined our holiday as he was so ill. I've heard of companies that claim no win no fee type thing. Has anyone else done This?

So given the symptoms normally develop after 3-5 days he caught it at home - who are you going to sue ?
  • Thanks for the helpful reply, that's when the doctor in menorca suggested he contracted it. Also the systems start within 24 hours with fever and loss of appetite. The rash doesn't show till day 3 to 5..

Just going on what the doctor said to me though so he could be lying.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck then - hopefully one of the TV advertising [STRIKE]vultures[/STRIKE] firms will be able to help you
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    Claim off who? The person he contracted it from?
    travelover
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Which hotel?

I always understood it and everything I've ever read is that the symptoms develop 3-7 days after infection, and that the first symptoms at that time can be a fever, loss of appetite or just generally feeling unwell. The mouth ulcers, rash and blisters follow. It's contagious a few days before the symptoms start so I'd have though it was caught before actually going on holiday.
  • Regardless of timescales. He caught it here, the fact they put a small notice up in reception (before we got here) saying it was going round and to look out for symptoms. Shows they knew about it.

We are staying at the binimar in menorca, the claim would be against the TUI group for allowing us there knowing the disease was there! They have a duty of care for their holiday makers.

Anyway back to my original question... has anyone had any experience in claiming for a sickness that has ruled their holiday?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the claim would be against the TUI group for allowing us there knowing the disease was there!

Well, you knew as well! Did you complain to TUI while you were there? Did you ask to be moved to a different hotel?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 3:21PM
    Options
    Regardless of timescales. He caught it here, the fact they put a small notice up in reception (before we got here) saying it was going round and to look out for symptoms. Shows they knew about it.

We are staying at the binimar in menorca, the claim would be against the TUI group for allowing us there knowing the disease was there! They have a duty of care for their holiday makers.

Anyway back to my original question... has anyone had any experience in claiming for a sickness that has ruled their holiday?

It's a normal childhood disease that your child was just as likely to catch at school/nursery as on holiday, it is no way a reflection of anything the hotel or TUI have or haven't done.

Do you expect an evacuation of a hotel for other childhood diseases, chicken pox, colds, coughs, flu too?

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx#transmission
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1111.aspx

The incubation period (the time between catching the disease and showing symptoms) is three to five days. During this time, the virus can be passed on.
    Hand, foot and mouth disease is highly contagious and spreads through:
    coughs and sneezes
    contact with infected stools (faeces)
    contact with the fluid in the blisters

No doubt the germs were in the environment inside and outside the hotel. He could have caught it on the plane- where germs thrive in the enclosed air system, or in the transport to the hotel just as you can catch a cold- another virus.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    You're obviously determined that it came from there because it suits you to think so. There may have been cases there, but they came from somewhere. Quite possibly someone that brought it with them because there's quite a bit of it in the UK. There's very little a hotel can do when a very common childhood illness occurs. If people were more scrupulous with personal hygiene and made sure that they kept themselves to themselves and out of contact with others then it wouldn't spread.

Being ill or having a sick person in your family while on holiday is hardly uncommon. No its not nice, and yes its inconvenient but as long as that person recovers with no long lasting affects then that's the most important thing.

TUI or any other tour operator cannot move all their guests en masse just because a few children have a common childhood illness. They'd probably just be spreading the problem because of it being contagious before symptoms develop.

Presumably as soon as you read the notice you asked to move hotels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure