Should I go for this job?

Options
I have a job coach who was off for 2 months with paternity leave and came back and with 2 days notice arranged a viewing of a call centre.

Im at college Monday to Thursday at moment and on Fridays I volunteer at charity electronics repair.

I always thought if I get a job id leave the college course, the course was more to make me get a routine again, a reference, and should no jobs come up I can get a qualification.

However I was specific with job coach and wanted to do part time as I have been out of work 10 years due to mental health, and disabilities then work my way up, of course that would mean I get disabled tax credits so wouldn't be worried about making ends meet but builds confidence and such.

He is pushing me to do full time work as well.

Anyway the call centre is eager for me to have a proper interview on Monday, Im happy to go for interview even for experience but don't want to be ungreatful and reject it or lose the interview experience.

But the job even from the visit has a lot of strict performance based targets, and I know 3 ex employees that worked there and they told me months ago its a terrible company to work for specifically due to the strict targets.

Even on way back home I stopped off to get some food and a random conversation I said to person I had job interview today and they asked what sort of job, I said call centre and they said they worked at X call centre, for X contract and it was a nightmare, I said "thats the place I just went to!"

So yeah its universally disliked.

Sorry for long side story but with my personal history and with it being hated with ex employees should I just go for it just for sake of working?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be amazed if a call centre does not have part time workers.

Go to the interview and if you are offered a job (not before) discuss what hours are available.

Many of us have done "work for the sake of working" jobs. Until you get some skills and experience, they are a fact of life.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't. I've a lot of call centre experience and if its one with targets it can be stressful. They tend to attract young, loud brash people who get off on making sales and making sure everyone knows about it. I've also seen agents do things they shouldn't just to hit targets / beat their colleagues (eg signing up someone elderly or with learning disabilities who didn't really understand what the deal was). You often get rude customers if its outbound and particularly if its cold calling. Countless people will tell you to F off or just hang up on you.
    Call centre work does have its uses. It can get you customer service experience and there are often temp roles or short assignments or part time positions to fit around life. As a career I'd say its a bit limited. Unless you work for a local authority or charity that gives in depth advice or something like the police or ambulance where its a bit more challenging and better pay.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 October 2017 at 6:45PM
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if a call centre does not have part time workers.

Go to the interview and if you are offered a job (not before) discuss what hours are available.

Many of us have done "work for the sake of working" jobs. Until you get some skills and experience, they are a fact of life.

I already have call centre experience, including big name companies it was just that was before my mental health and disability issues occured.

Whilst I can sure I an do the actual work its the target side that I worry about, which multiple ex workers told me was the reason they left.

That and I have a stutter at best of times which I can hide but if I am anxious it comes out in force and my mental health issues causing barriers.

So work for sake of working means to the detriment of my mental health, rather than wait and see if I get a better job which is more local (its only 8 miles away but only public transport there goes through all the smaller towns and takes almost a hour at best of times, and 2 hours at rush hour, and whilst a hours travel isn't the problem as much as Id rather do a job 20 miles away that is easier to get to)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would go and form my own opinions. If it is such a mercenary place then you won't be there that long if can't meet the target expectation let alone anything else - problem over.

I know someone forced to go for a job interview in one of the cheap jack shops working for free (ahem in replace of benefits) at 30 hours ahead of the job application they had made for the 12 hour per week paid position - they came out without being offered the free labour job or 12 hours really preferred in their senior years so employers aren't always desperate to take any breathing soul and so this might not even be a worry to you.

Worry when offered the job. Sounds like you have the decision to turn down the interview on the plus side? - only you'll know your gut feeling, your self motivation and where you want to be - pointless us speculating when you don't say what call centre type. For instance I wouldn't want to do insurance inbound which people would think is high calibre and actually has a barrier of needing credit check passed.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Are the call centre aware of the difficulties you may face?

Are you allowed to leave the job due to your MH without the risk of getting sanctioned?

If yes to the above two I would give it a go. If you did call centre work previously then it will good for you to get back into something that is comfortable and familiar.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I already have call centre experience, including big name companies it was just that was before my mental health and disability issues occured.

Whilst I can sure I an do the actual work its the target side that I worry about, which multiple ex workers told me was the reason they left.

That and I have a stutter at best of times which I can hide but if I am anxious it comes out in force and my mental health issues causing barriers.

So work for sake of working means to the detriment of my mental health, rather than wait and see if I get a better job which is more local (its only 8 miles away but only public transport there goes through all the smaller towns and takes almost a hour at best of times, and 2 hours at rush hour, and whilst a hours travel isn't the problem as much as Id rather do a job 20 miles away that is easier to get to)

Experience from ten years ago is not relevant to now. You're not in a position to be able to pick and choose jobs.

How many ex workers from there do you know? You are prone to exaggeration, so I'm expecting multiple to be two or three.

All the rest is just excuses, the same excuses you made last time you started a thread about work. You're never going to succeed if you keep putting barriers in your way. You've nothing to lose by giving it a go.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 October 2017 at 8:41PM
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Experience from ten years ago is not relevant to now. You're not in a position to be able to pick and choose jobs.

How many ex workers from there do you know? You are prone to exaggeration, so I'm expecting multiple to be two or three.

All the rest is just excuses, the same excuses you made last time you started a thread about work. You're never going to succeed if you keep putting barriers in your way. You've nothing to lose by giving it a go.

And the same ignorantresponses from people who have zero common sense and edit reality to what they want to be true.

I know 4 ex workers from there

And wow shock surprise I googled it after writing that post and found multiple websites with shocking reviews of the company, as in 90% negative and hundreds of reviews.

Oh and the same company was in the NATIONAL PAPERS for treating their staff badly and not allowing toilet breaks.

So if a job came up licking someones feet I should take it just as its a job

Love to see your live in the real world

(expects responses of how you work and I don't therefore you are the one in the real world)

Love to see how when I worked in call centres, using databases, using headsets, using intranet, working to quotas, doing customer service and such isn't relevant to this job which is a IDENTICAL job type, only difference is higher quotas and even worse reputation for the company!

Even the INTERVIEWER told me it was the same roles and she KNEW the company I used to work for.

Think they know more about it then you.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It’s not a prison sentence. If you get the job and it’s bad just quit.

I wouldn’t decide not to take a job because you’ve read a few bad review. Companies criticised in the national press tend to take steps to rectify the complaints.

You’re giving off the impression that you don’t want a job.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    It’s not a prison sentence. If you get the job and it’s bad just quit.

I wouldn’t decide not to take a job because you’ve read a few bad review. Companies criticised in the national press tend to take steps to rectify the complaints.

You’re giving off the impression that you don’t want a job.

Its why I use that word context so often.

Im taking out of literally over 1000 reviews 90% being negative, and not just that for the same reasons every time, and considering its been in national press about how bad it is id say that would set warning signs going!

But if you read into what I said, I wouldn't have a problem with part time work there.

And don't forget right now I am at college full time and also have a part time electronics job unpaid.

However what I was annoyed about there was my previous experience being disregarded for no real reason.

Even my college course has work experience in it, and my job coach promised to get interviews arranged for 2 previous job tasters but didn't bother in the end but is the first person to push me for anything that comes up, considering one was a highly sought after position and at the job taster they outright said with my background and knowledge they were keen to take me on (as a apprentice) why turn down a £10.50 a hour chance (job coach just needs to arrange it) at a job I enjoy and excellent career prospects for one that most people don't get past 3 months and minimum wage? Im trying to build experience up at a pace that won't overwhelm me also meaning long term I won't fail, rather than go into a bad job, full time that I won't last at (or go back to like I am only slowly in last 2 years been doing, recovering from a almost breakdown/when I thought about suicide)

I was also worried if I take the job, it looks bad on me if I fail and it will mean I won't be able to go back on ESA.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't go for it. From what you've said I think you'd have to pack in your college course in order to do it? Correct me if I've misunderstood this.

From what you've said, from people who've worked there and what you've read on-line, it sounds highly likely to make your MH worse.

Then you'd be left in the position where you're needing to leave the job, claim benefits again, wouldn't have gained a qualification from your course and no longer had the voluntary job.

Continue as you are whilst looking for something more suitable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure