Universal Credit and inheritance savings

Options
I am in the process of applying for UC as my husband has left the children and I. However, due to the sale of my parents house after their deaths 4 years ago our savings take me over the limit. This money was always intended to go towards the mortgage but it never quite got there. Although my husband has moved out we haven't split the accounts yet. Even halved would just take me over. Would it be ok do you think if we put the money towards the mortgage as that's where it was originally intended to go. I think my main issue is my reluctance to use my inheritance for daily living supporting myself and two children while my ex husband gets to keep half intact. Please note, I understand the system and that if you've got money you shouldn't get benefits and I'm fine with that, I'm just questioning my particular situation.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you chose to overpay the mortgage in order to claim benefits then it will in all likelihood be seen as "deprevation of capital", and you might still be counted as having the money even though you haven't.

I understand your reluctance to use the money to live off but look on it as money for a rainy day and now its chucking it down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure