PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help 2 Buy Homes, and the difference in price than non H2B!

Options
Hi All,

So after spending years in an IVA, and very much learning my lessons with respect to debts, I have spent 3 years saving for a house, and am up to around 10k deposit wise.

I have spoken to various people and told I can get around 180k using the help to buy. My question however revolves around prices. I!!!8217;m living in Bristol which is sky rocketing faster than a SpaceX rocket currently, but I find, for example H2B houses 1 or 2 bed flats for example, are listed as 189k !!!8211; 210k, yet I see 2 bed flats being sold in very similar areas without H2B (IE, a pre owned house) and the are around 165-175k mark, and, they are much better quality too it seems

My question for everyone is, have you noticed H2B and SO properties being massively over priced by the housing companies like I am starting to notice? Are they over inflating because they KNOW people will use the H2B equity loan?

also, would it be a better option, to save more and try to get a full 10% deposit for any house as opposed to just saving and using the H2B loan?

I have very little knowledge on this, but I would like to think I can make some money possibly on my first house, and I think this will be very difficult in a H2B house, so any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Overpriced maybe, but then you need to consider that New builds are what they are...new. So you are paying for this, but you should get an up to date economical house with everything new inside. As well as the guarantees which like mine can be up to ten years.

With a non new build, you are taking the risk of not having new, so things can and often do go wrong such as needing a new boiler system or rewiring.

All in all, its down to personal preference. But coming from the South West myself, I would say that £180k is not going to get you very far though.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your comparison should be between second hand and newbuild not second hand and HTB.

AFAIK newbuild property is the same price with or without HTB. There is always a premium over the cost of a similar second-hand property.

Paying it, or not is down to your preference - newbuild or not.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Southpaw18
    Options
    Thanks both for your replies. Your points about the new house benefits are definitely very valid. I will take that into consideration definitely.

In respect of comparing h2b you are right, but I say h2b with the exclusive meaning of 'new build' as realistically I think that's the only option I'll have right now.

Just seems like the cost of these is so high. I mean I saw a shared ownership 2 bed terraced house which was 130k for 50% so valued at 270k?! I mean that seems unbelievable and I'd guarantee a similar place that isn't new build would get near 40k less than that on the market so I just wonder what I should be considering.

But very good points thank you both for your inputs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport