We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Redesigning garden using current plants?

Options
Silence101
Silence101 Posts: 396 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
We've bought a new build, meaning our garden was basically a square of turf. In an attempt to create a cottage style flower border, I've been planting flowers and seeds, in a rather iggledy pickedly kind of way, and now that the plants are finally starting to grow, I've realised that that might not have been the best plan, as some of the shorter flowers are at the back of the border, and taller ones near the front. I also realised that I didn't make sections with my plants, so for example there's a tulip here, and another over there, etc instead of a clump of each kind of flower
I'm planning on waiting until autumn now as the plants are starting to flower, but will I be able to transplant most of the flowers to new positions, or is it likely that I'm going to have to start from scratch again? I mainly planted perennials.
Thanks!

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would you be able to tell us the names of the plants.

We are not really in charge either, nature does what it likes every year. I sow seeds every year and today I have been looking back a photos and it looks different every year. Stick with what you have got this year and do something different next year.
  • Silence101
    Options
    We've planted quite a few, and I've forgotten most of the names!
    Off the top of my head, we've planted
    Pansies
    Crocus
    Dianthus
    Cosmos
    Sweatpea
    Cyclamen
    Lavender
    Stock
    Zinnias
    Marigolds
    Irises
    Daffodils
    Digitalis
    Gladioli
    and lots of annual seeds, but I understand those would have to be replanted next year.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You can transplant perennials usually without problems unless it is specially delicate or wont survive going from sun to shade. Transplanting is also a good time to split them and gain new plants also if they are big enough.

Generally if they flower in spring it is safe to move them in autumn.

Digitalis will self seed all over the place if you let it.

You have bulbs as well which can be moved once flowering has finished but before the leaves dissapear ( so you know where they are). Cut leaves after moving leaving around an inch or two or simply dry and store the bulds and plant next spring.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't know that about the digitalis!
    Does that mean I could move the crocuses now, as they flowered earlier in the year?
  • Linda32
    Options
    :D Is that besides the ones you have forgotten!

Sounds as if you will be doing just fine to me.

Irises, daffs, crocus, and gladioli plants that can be moved. I would do this in the autumn. You might need to mark where they were are they will die back. Stick a stick in ground. Dianthus and lavender can be moved. Cyclamen and stock, not sure never grown in the ground.

Others I think last for one year only.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You might get away with moving crocus's now if they flowered early as we aren't too far away from Sping.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    :D Is that besides the ones you have forgotten!.
    Yes, I think we went a bit over the top with the amount of plants, :rotfl: so am expecting the poor flowers to be fighting for light by the end of June! Especially as the beds aren't huge.
    I might have to do some thinning out once the plants have grown some more.
  • Silence101
    Options
    Thank you both, I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows this year, and try and create something more logical next year. I'm also learning that I've put plants that like water next to plants that like dry soil, so I'm going to have to do better groupings if I want them all to thrive.
    I'm calling it my big experiment !!!55357;!!!56836; Luckily most were cheap plants and seeds, so if it all goes pear shaped I can try again next year.
  • Linda32
    Options
    Silence101 wrote: »
    Yes, I think we went a bit over the top with the amount of plants, :rotfl: so am expecting the poor flowers to be fighting for light by the end of June! Especially as the beds aren't huge.
    I might have to do some thinning out once the plants have grown some more.

No, no, not at all, it is great that you have lots of plants, the smother any weeds that might like to grow. :D

It was just that I didn't expect so much when you were willing to start from scratch! I grow different things every year and my garden looks different every year. I love doing it and would hate it to be the same every year. I'm sure yours will be the same. :T
  • Silence101
    Options
    Yes, I expect it will keep evolving every year!
    We're keeping the beds fairly small so that I can weed easily. We used to rent a house with a huge flower bed, and although lovely it was impossible to keep on top of the weeds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure