CMC asking for signature to claim

Options
My partner recently received a ppi claim cheque for almost £5k from M&S. She doesn’t recall claiming and couldn’t explain how she got it. A week later a bill comes from a ppi reclaim company wanting approx £1700 incl vat in relation to the successful M&S payment. (She hasn’t paid it yet)
At the same time another letter from them requesting a form to be signed to pursue a claim with Barclays.
My partner now remembers clicking a box on some social media site for a company to check if she has had ppi. She never heard from them until this bill came.
The question is, there is obviously a valid claim with Barclays but the CMC need a signature to continue the claim, could she tell them she no longer requires their services and pursue a claim herself by contacting Barclays, thus avoiding paying the CMC a fee, or must she sign the form and have them pursue the claim?.

Thanks in advance.
Wilbur

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    wilbur901 wrote: »
    The question is, there is obviously a valid claim with Barclays but the CMC need a signature to continue the claim,

There probably isn't. They just want her signature for as many possibly complaints as possible.

If she had a complaint (not a claim), she should make it directly, unless her existing agreement has already signed over bucket loads of cash to the CMC.

Check whether the new form is agrrement to act or permission to speak to the lender.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should check if they have a "wet" signature (i.e. a proper signed letter of authority) as they need this to make a complaint on her behalf. Ticking a box on facebook or whatever doesn't give them that authority so you'd need to clarify if they can represent her legally and thus if they are entitled to it. Obviously do not send the LOA, if she has a complaint with Barclays make it direct and pay nothing to a third party leech
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The question is, there is obviously a valid claim with Barclays but the CMC need a signature to continue the claim, could she tell them she no longer requires their services and pursue a claim herself by contacting Barclays, thus avoiding paying the CMC a fee, or must she sign the form and have them pursue the claim?.

Barclays have not given any comment either way. They wont until they receive the signed complaint. So, its not obvious that there is one. What is really happening is that the CMC need a wet signature to put a complaint to Barclays that allows the CMC to be paid if the complaint is successful.

They should have had a wet signature for the first complaint against M&S as well. If not, then she can dispute paying them a fee. She should request a copy of the contract from the CMC in respect of the M&S complaint submitted. No signed contract = no fee.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure