The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!

Options

Comments

• museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2017 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Thanks wish! I don’t spend a huge amount of time voucher hunting – I try and check in with hotukdeals once every few days, just to see what’s available. Yesterday I had a bit of time whilst waiting for DD1 medicine to be ready at Mr S, so I searched on HUKD to check if there were any offers to take advantage of. I don’t go on there too often as I think it might get too easy to get swept away and start buying things because they’re on offer.

The other great site for London is Time 0ut offers, it is fantastic for restaurant and bar deals (and I love to eat out!) They do a daily email I check but as I let a few vouchers expire last year:mad: I now try to only buy them when I have an exact date/occasion in mind. Having used dozens of them now I can honestly say the voucher doesn’t impact on the service and even if you get a reduced menu they are always great offers. Unlike some Gr0upon deals I’ve used before where I was not made to feel welcome!

Today's Ta dahhh! List:

DAILY
    • [STRIKE]Walk 10K steps[/STRIKE] 14k
    • [STRIKE]Stick to allocated food (pizza lunch, hazzah!)[/STRIKE] quite easy to stick to overeating :rotfl:
    • [STRIKE]Check accounts and update YNAB[/STRIKE]yes, and charged twice for car insurance :eek:

WEEKLY
    • [STRIKE]Post 2x test mail[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Log test mail posted[/STRIKE]

SPECIAL
    • Send birthday card to relative
    • Call friend re: trip to Manchester
    • [STRIKE]Call friend re: meet up this week[/STRIKE] had to cancel due to DD1
    • Thank you to school mum
    • [STRIKE]Send holiday paperwork to OH to print off[/STRIKE] Done
    • Claim £2 back on pumpkin
    • [STRIKE]Start packing / write packing list for holiday[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Download free holiday guides and magazines for the plane via Am@zon unlimited free trial[/STRIKE] done
    • Book son in for jabs this Friday
    • [STRIKE]Transfer ebay sale money out of paypal and into bank account[/STRIKE] done
    • Order foreign currency
    • [STRIKE]Decide what to spend £20 off £40 ebay voucher on before it expires tomorrow![/STRIKE] a peach mini kanken for DD2, tooooo cute!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • museumworker
    Options
    Nightmare morning with DD1 I can't go into in public.

Good job I'm keeping a close eye on finances. Today noticed we have been charged TWICE for car insurance, and also overcharged on final eon bill, so have emailed new supplier to get them to fix, works out about £20.

Anyway, out of office on and have tomorrow to myself to hopefully catch up a bit at home and personally. Feel worn out by it all!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Urghhhhhh feel for you with Dd1, hope it's improved in the hours since.
    Have a fabulous holiday and bring back some sunshine to share please.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • museumworker
    edited 20 October 2017 at 10:58AM
    Options
    Just wrote a much wordier post but iPad glitches lost it :mad:
    Thanks wish, DD1 was very contrite when she eventually came downstairs, I think she shocked herself a little with her own behaviour. Was such an emotionally exhausting day, really pleased to have today to myself :j.

Will do more wordy update later, but today's ta dahhhh list is:

Daily
    • Stick to food allocation
    • 10k steps
    • Check accounts and update YNAB

Special
    • [STRIKE]Lie in[/STRIKE] 915 get up, yay!
    • [STRIKE]Get house ready for cleaner[/STRIKE] sheesh, that's an hour of my life gone, mostly due to the pit which is DD1's room
    • Bag up some junk in back room for charity
    • Do charity run
    • Collect parcel
    • Buy more meds, insect repellent etc from list
    • Return Ald! order (£12.99)
    • Collect Mr S clothes order and return unwanted items (£90-£140)
    • Collect dress from menders
    • Pack!! Hand luggage only
    • Chase air bnb for full address
    • Book jabs DS for when we get back
    • Give professional advice to friend
    • Call friend re: trip to Manchester
    • Book holiday money
    • Get myself holiday ready :/
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Sounds like an excellent day, and there are still several more hours in it!:j
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Really feel for you at the moment - teenagers are the bl**dy worst, their selfishness seems to know no bounds. They do come out the other side as useful members of society though so hang on in there :A

When are you off to Morocco? Xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • museumworker
    Options
    Thanks PP, teenagers really are the pits at times!

We're on the laat day of our Morocco holiday now. Been amazing. Two nights at a luxury French run place next to a lake, with swimming pool and views of the Atlas mountains. Then three nights in the mountains, highlight was a donkey trek into a berber village and tagine next to a waterfall. Finishing up with three nights in a private riad in Marrakesh. Just come back from getting lost/haggling in the souqs to find our hire car battery has gone flat, so OH sorting it out whilst I give the kids some tablet time. After 5 hours shopping/walking we all need it! Wifi has been intermittent so I've had a proper break from the world. Have used our Halifax clarity card and transferred on money when taken cash out so hopefully our charges will be minimal.

When car sorted out will have a last dip in our plunge pool, eat on the roof terrace and think about taking teen to the main square at night. We have to leave at 245 tomorrow :eek: but at least we'll be home early so can get straight for the week.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds amazing - especially the donkeys:D
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it, sounds like an adventure :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • museumworker
    edited 29 October 2017 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Thanks both, it's been a wonderful holiday, felt like we were proper little adventurers. We did kerb our ambitions with the kids, just going out for a drive or to buy bread felt like an exciting activity, so we just fitted in a few sights and activities around that. Being in 3 locations worked well as they all gave us insight into different Moroccan places and cultures but were all close enough so we could drive between them in about 90 mins. The mountain backroads with hairpin turns won't be forgotten in a hurry though!

OH got times wrong so actually got up at 100, about 30 mins after I finally managed to get to sleep :eek:! I've had an hour on the plane but apart from that there's not been a chance to rest.

It's a novelty for us getting back in the morning, does mean have managed to do two washolads, meal plan, return the Aldi purchase, do a weekly shop, bathe the kids and put them to bed, roast some peri piri chickens with sweet potato wedges and broccoli, sort out the kitchen and empty and reload the dishwasher, now catching up on bake off and awaiting some roasted figs with cinnamon, honey and Greek yoghurt. Was hoping to update YNAB but seeing as it feels like midnight already might have to kick that one to the kerb :rotfl:!

Kids are a bit unsettled, DD2 really wanted to sleep with us like she did on holiday. The fact that she kept waking up to squeeze me and talk to me whilst very cute is not something I can continue with work beckoning. But it was marvellous family time and worth every sleep deprived moment, and every dirham that we spent. There were many testing moments particularly around the kids behaviour at times but the rewards far outweigh the challenges.

I've had a bit of a chance to reflect on what I'd like or need to do differently at home too to reach the happy, healthy and mindful way I want to live and undertake my MF journey. Will share more when a bit more coherent!

MW x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport