Weekly shopping Budget how much??

Options

Comments

• mvnefyn
    Options
    Katie11 wrote: »
    Hi all i am newbie me and my DP are in the process of sorting through of finances and totaling up everything at the moment we realise we have to cut costs and top of the list is shopping after going through 3 months worth of statements and working out an average of what we spend in the supermarket we are first going to cut this but cant decide on a realistic figure any suggestions would be much appreciated. Until this point we have spent around £450 a month (sometimes more) this is for 2 adults and one child i thought around £70 weekly and this would include nappies and wipes etc for my son. what do you think ??

thanks

Hi,

£70 sounds good. We are two adults and two children aged 11 and 8 and I manage on £70. Some weeks I spend a little more and most a little less cos of course soap powder and other cleaning products are purchased less regularly so the overall figure balances out at £70 per week. I have a box freezer at home and find that the best way I save is to pick up food on the reduced shelf and put it in the freezer. Sometimes by doing this we can get some stuff I wouldn't normally feel I can afford. If you are lucky you will find BOGOFs that you would use and again, I would spend more money that week than normal in order to make a saving in the long run. Finally, definitely drop the little extras eg biscuits, crisps. They really add up and if you don't have them you might be surprised at how little you miss them (that's if you do eat them anyway!) So don't forget that going "over budget" one week might save you money in the next three weeks. Good luck!!! :rotfl:
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    Katie

Try the OS boards. DH and I were spending about £100 a week (including takeaways managing but still wasting about £30 of food each week). Since then, we
    make a list of things we need and stick to it
    make a lot of things from scratch (for a fraction of the cost)
    double up quantities and freeze half etc.
    take extra money (£10-20) to take advantage of bogofs and special offers (but only on the things we'd normally use).

But it really is small steps and don't be disappointed if for the first couple of trips you overspend!

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • JCD_Capulet
    JCD_Capulet Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I spend £10/week on all food/groceries for myself.
    This is for all meals (I don't eat in work canteens, I don't go out to dinner, I don't buy fast food)
    I don't have alcohol, cakes, biscuits.
    I don't buy meat.
    My total food waste is a maximum of 1/4 of a loaf of bread every 10 days.
    Pretty much the same as me here. £10pw and currently planning and meal planning to cut this down to £5 per week. The first month or so are always the hardest, but it's second nature from there on in.
    Debt free since 2014 - now saving for a mortgage deposit :heart2:
    This time I'm on top of it! We live and learn :coffee:
  • SarahNeedle1872
    Options
    Pretty much the same as me here. £10pw and currently planning and meal planning to cut this down to £5 per week. The first month or so are always the hardest, but it's second nature from there on in.

Bl00dy hell, that's good! That is proper discipline! :T

Katie, £70 is a good place to start......
    Definately get over to the OS board and have a look around, and I'd say make a meal plan, write a list and stick to it. What nappies and wipes do u use? Tesco nappies are as good as Pampers, they come highly recommended from this household at least, and I only ever buy wipes when they're on offer... Haven't used Tesco or Sains own brand, but Boots own brand are good, pretty much always on offer, and if u join their mother/baby club, u get double advantage points - I save my points for buying presents, me treats or when I'm really really skint and need to buy nappies/wipes.
    Buy as much value stuff as u can, and if u really don't like it, trade up to the supermarket own brand - u'll save a fortune that way... My OH is a complete brand freak too, so I leave him at home wherever possible :D

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • CharliesAngel
    Options

I remember the days.... lol. Used to spend no more than 43/45 a month at asda but since the three jobs have kicked in I more often than not end up in the local corner (rip off) shop for something quick to eat...
    Proud to have dealt with with my debts
    Debt free from 18th March 2013, long may it continue!
  • terill
    terill Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Newbie,

We have two adults and a hearty two year old. Changed last year from shopping at Tesco to LIDL for the main shop and have saved at least £125 a month. To be honest we eat better now as LIDL's smoked salmon, large prawns and fruit are so cheap that we buy so much more than we did at Tesco. Plus there is always a parking space free near the entrance whereas at previous supermarket we always had to park miles away; the shop took two hours; and there was always a massive queue at till. Also, buy toiletries from Wilkinsons and Savers for bigger bargains on named brands. Plus- changed to a water metre and saved extra £15 a month. Equals saving of around £2000 a year:j :j
  • petetidball
    Options
    For two adults and two children (3 years and 7 months) we spend about £180-£200 a month on food and nappies/wipes/SMA/baby food. If I could get the wife to agree I reckon we could do it for £100 a month including meat (none of that veggie crap!) It would be a limited variety but would still have all the nutrients needed. I could do it for even less if the 7 month old would wait till I get home and cook for his tea, but he has yet to learn the art of patience.

Buying bulk, making double, freezing extra all help.
    :confused: Pardonez mois, mais votre cheval est dans mon cochon d'inde. :confused:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts: DFW Nerd 610
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    yeoyeo wrote: »
    PasturesNew how do you do this?!?! I appreciate the no meat and alcohol keeps it down, but how do you get all nutrients etc on just £10??
    Nutrients .... er ... never bothered to be honest

Today I've had:
    bag of chips 60p
    small slice of cake (somebody at work made)
    40g pack of julian graves "island mix": yoghurt covered raisins, raisins, pumpkin seeds - free, got given 20 packs about 3 weeks ago for spending £10 in their shop

Too tired when I got home from work to do last night's washing up and wash up the egg poacher and a plate. Else I'd have had 2 poached eggs, 2 pieces of toast (24p)
  • smousie
    smousie Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    OMG I can't believe everyone is able to manage on that amount! We probably spend £80-100 per week on two of us! However we do get organic veg and milk delivered, and buy free-range bacon and eggs, organic meat and cheese, and 100% fruit smoothies etc, all of which tends to cost a bit more. As well as that I have to buy the free-from food for my food allergies, and a pack of 9 wheat-free biscuits or 2 scones or 4 pitta breads all cost £2 each, which adds up the cost of the weekly shop. I also buy eco-friendly washing powder and shampoo, biodegradable binbags, non-animal-tested cosmetics etc, and that costs more too.

I've heard it said that the British spend a lower proportion of their salary on food than people in any other European country. I don't really mind spending a bit more on food and cosmetics, as I think what you fuel your body with and what you put on your skin directly affects your health, and I prefer to have good quality food and cosmetics and cut down in other areas of spending instead.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    We are currently saving for our retirement. We have a target which, makes saving easier.

Each month we have £250 put into a Tesco clubcard plus account, this gives us double points which we use for holiday travel.

This money pays for all grocery and food items. It pays for petrol. It gives us our pocket money.

I use the old style boards for inspiration for recipes and meal plans, alternative cleaning products and ideas for keeping the money in my pocket.

Does it work? We have recently increased our savings target, yes it does work. It takes getting used to, but now it's second nature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure