blue badges

Options
hi i was just wondering if anybody could help me with a query i have.
i have a little boy of 13 months who has a rare syndrome and we get high rate disability care for him, i know i cant claim mobility for him until he is 3 but i was just wondering if we are eligible for blue badges.

thanx in advance
hayley

Comments

• doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    got this of directgov site:

If you are a parent of a child who is less than two years old, you may apply for a badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition which means that they either:
    • must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
    • need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital
    you can check here to see who issues your blue badges locally and contact them
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    there are 2 ways to get a blue badge. the quickest is to show your dla mobility component entitlement letter at the social work office and they arrange it very quickly.

the other way is the discretionary route- present a gp letter of support and wait for the committees to meet and the wheels to turn and then you should be given it if they agree.
  • keefyboy_2
    Options
    Telephone your local council, they will send you the forms, complete them (and don't forget to keep a copy of all of it for your records) then return them to the relevant office with the information you supply and they then deal with the issuing of the Blue Badges. ( I am a disabled person who holds a blue badge)
    The Looney o:EasterBunf Loughborough..
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doelani is right: though they have recently extended the Blue Badge scheme to young children, it is restricted to those specific cases.
  • stottlo1
    Options
    yes you will be entitled I would have thought i work with very young disabled children and their parents have badges, good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure