Obligation to supply?

Options
I'd appreciate a view on this situation.

Last week I ordered a TV off a well known internet retailer. The TV was priced at that time at £400, but there was one available under their 'Used and New' section for £340. It was described as being 'as new' but with the box opened. I imagined it was a return.

I placed an order.

Yesterday, on the 'Where's my stuff?' page it was showing that they had refunded my payment. I hadn't cancelled the order. I emailed to ask why and they just said they were unable to fulfil the order.

The TV is now priced at £450 on the retailer's site and there are no special deals under 'Used and New'.

I still want the TV. Does the retailer have an obligation to supply the goods once I've placed the order?

Thanks

Comments

• DaisyFlower
    Options
    No they dont have an obligation to fulfill the order. There is no contract until goods are despatched.
  • OldGreenEyes_2
    Options
    So there is no contract even if they have taken your money?
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The contract is formed when payment is accepted. You could try pursuing them under 'loss of bargain', although I'm not sure you would get very far.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    So there is no contract even if they have taken your money?

Look at the terms and conditions it will probably say something to the effect that it reserves the right to cancel orders and the customer’s order only constitutes an offer, which the retailer can accept by either charging the customer’s credit card and/or by dispatching the product.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure