Mistakingly did not declare 3 points - Hastings Direct asking for documents - need advice!!

Options
Hi all, need some advice.

I have made a mistake, but an innocent one in my opinion. I understand it is my fault but I had no intentions of lying, as I think this is how insurance will see this.

I took out my insurance recently and after reviewing documents realised I had accepted and took out a policy where I checked how much I'd be paying without my 3 penalty points!! This means that I'm now insured, with Hastings Direct, and have not declared 3 points I got last year during my last year's policy.

Hastings Direct are now asking for driving license copies, of mine and my father's (named driver) and also asking for a V5 document, which I can provide everything for.

My fear is, will Hastings Direct cancel my policy once they realise I have 3 points, or if I ring them and be 100% honest, will they just up my policy? I'd rather pay more than have it cancelled.

Or, should I just not tell them? Really confused as to what to do.

Cheers, Dan.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only Hastings can tell you the repercussions but the one thing you shouldn't do is not tell them.

Contact them now.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not tell them?? They will may already know and this is your chance to tell the truth??
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, they will find out when you send them details of your licence anyway. I'd say not telling them greatly increases the chance of the policy being cancelled, so you may as well call them to explain, worst case is that they will cancel, but having been up front may mean that they'll accept it was an error and keep the policy going, probably at a higher premium. Will the 3 points drop off during the life of the policy, as I can't see any reason for checking on the price without points if they won't?
  • danishhaq98
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Only Hastings can tell you the repercussions but the one thing you shouldn't do is not tell them.

Contact them now.
    Not tell them?? They will may already know and this is your chance to tell the truth??

You're both right... I'm going to give them a ring now and just explain everything as to why this has happened. I have a tendency to make a big deal out of things, hopefully it can be resolved. I wouldn't even mind paying more. It's only my second year of driving, and this is my second insurance policy.
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Well, they will find out when you send them details of your licence anyway. I'd say not telling them greatly increases the chance of the policy being cancelled, so you may as well call them to explain, worst case is that they will cancel, but having been up front may mean that they'll accept it was an error and keep the policy going, probably at a higher premium. Will the 3 points drop off during the life of the policy, as I can't see any reason for checking on the price without points if they won't?

The 3 points were issued about 6-7 months ago now, and the new insurance policy with HD was taken out 2-3 months ago. My biggest fear is that they will cancel the insurance policy, as I need a car to get to work and back, which means if I don't have a car I won't be able to pay bills as will have no income, I live somewhere where it's difficult to get work within walking distance too. Public transport isn't really an option as it'd be a 2 hour commute to work in the morning, and I'd get to work late everyday via public transport, hence the reason I have a car.

As it being my second year of driving, I was in the frame of mind of 'what would it have been if I didn't have that conviction' and wanted to basically teach myself a lesson by knowing how much extra I would've been paying. I was in a big rush to get it all done, I was so focused on getting it done that I forgot to even go through summaries/confirmation, which made it even worse, as if I had done, I would've realised there and then, which is the most annoying thing for me in my opinion.

I'm terrified now of making this phone call really, I'm relied on to drive as well, to see family, who need me, to go to work, that need me there, I'd much rather pay extra each month than have it cancelled, considering I need the car later today as well it is a scary thought.

Lesson learnt though, always take your time through this! Backfires massively. I'm glad in a way they asked for details as if they didn't, I wouldn't have bothered checking insurance documents. The only reason I've realised they're undeclared is because I've checked the insurance documents after wondering why they're wanting to see extra documents, such as all driving licenses involved & V5.

God I hope this works out.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You have two choices: (Send the docs they requested which will confirm you made a false application or don't send them)

If you fail to send them then your policy will be cancelled - bad news!

No-one can advise how they will deal with the mistake you made

So either send them as requested (and contact them now regarding your "innocent mistake") or cancel your policy today and take a new one out elsewhere
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    What's the point in checking what a price is without points when you have them? You need to tell them. Chances are unless they are really harsh they will just charge the additional premium.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    You managed to get through OP ?
  • danishhaq98
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You have two choices: (Send the docs they requested which will confirm you made a false application or don't send them)

If you fail to send them then your policy will be cancelled - bad news!

No-one can advise how they will deal with the mistake you made

So either send them as requested (and contact them now regarding your "innocent mistake") or cancel your policy today and take a new one out elsewhere

I'm scanning my documents as we speak and will get them sent asap so that's one job out of the way, so that's definitely being sorted. I'm not hesitating doing that, as want to make sure that's done as I am fully aware they have the right to ask.

I'm going to take my chances and contact them telling them about what I've done, and just hope that they don't cancel right there and then and somehow I negotiate a new deal with them.
    Reardoa wrote: »
    What's the point in checking what a price is without points when you have them? You need to tell them. Chances are unless they are really harsh they will just charge the additional premium.

Let's just hope that is the case, I hope they're not too harsh, have heard only negative things about this company but still decided to take my chances, they weren't the cheapest but they seemed as if they were offering the best services at that moment in time when I took out the policy.
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    You managed to get through OP ?

On hold with them as we speak, whilst also trying to send my documents and waiting for docs to scan. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Due to my age, location (postcode) etc., at the moment I'm paying an extortionate £340.....

....per month....

On a 1.3 Vauxhall Astra Diesel 5 door (best MPG so decided to go for that).

So heaven knows what the price would go up to! I have ran another quote online, seems as if I can get insurance from another provider for £700 upfront and £330 per month, that includes the correct details, however I don't have the £700 upfront to pay so will just have to hope that Hastings Direct can work with me and see me as a reliable customer of theirs.

Fingers crossed!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options

On hold with them as we speak, whilst also trying to send my documents and waiting for docs to scan. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Due to my age, location (postcode) etc., at the moment I'm paying an extortionate £340.....

....per month....

That is really expensive, very.

You don't say your age but is your age the reason for it being expensive ?
  • danishhaq98
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    That is really expensive, very.

You don't say your age but is your age the reason for it being expensive ?

Yeah it is expensive, my age is 20, forgot to mention sorry. I'm deemed as a typical 'boy racer' type of profile according to insurance, live in an area with a bad crime rate etc.

It's also generally cheaper for me to get an insurance without a black box, rather than insurance with a black box, because of the type of mileage I have to do each year, it's unexpected and can vary (family stuff).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure