stop/start

Options

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Current and last car both have/had Stop/start both automatics so it just stops funny thing is if your foot moves at all it starts up so sometimes comes as a surprise. It can be disabled but I hate filling up so anything that delays the chore is great by me.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most likely the stop/start will be automatically disabled if the air-con is on max cold.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • topdaddy_2
    topdaddy_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    kpwll wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this but I have to wait between 10 & 20 mins for them to come out of school and due to illness do not tolerate cold or getting chilled very well. I will add that I do feel guilty when keeping the engine running.

The type of work I do can mean sitting idling for a long time in situations where you would want the heater running. All the stop starts I have had had had a button to disable it although these are mostly VAG cars
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Here's my guess:

Given that with modern technology and appropriately-specified components (mainly battery capacity, alternator power and starter motor durability) there is no reason not to have stop/start ...

...except that for over 100 years, the main worry about having a car is 'will it start?' Adverts still contain lines like 'starts first time', which with modern machinery should be fairly redundant. Deliberately stopping the car in traffic seems to go against a century of motoring wisdom. I think it will take a while for this to be overcome.

And not necessarily Luddite, either: the whole stop/start thing depends on the engine being in a perfect state of tune, and when a car is new it is brilliant. But after 100k miles, with worn injectors, bores, valves etc, will it be such a good idea? For use in traffic, the re-start must be instant. A car that has to churn on the starter for a few seconds, as many older cars do, would be a liability if it did that a hundred times a day in city traffic. I can see why people are not keen.

The 3L I drove had 170k miles on it. The stop start worked perfectly.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    117mpg form a 3L? My 3L Supra did about 20mpg, less when I was booting it....happy days. What I'd give to get 20 mpg these days.

I am guessing 0.3l? Which car was it Stoke?

3L doesn't mean 3.0 litre. It means 3 litres per 100 km and that was the official figure. When taken on the road, the world record was set when someone drove across Europe and reached an average of 117 mpg, driving the entire way on less than 100 euros of diesel. That remains in the Guinness World Records... to this day.

It's a Volkswagen Lupo 3L. Google it.
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Here's my guess:

Given that with modern technology and appropriately-specified components (mainly battery capacity, alternator power and starter motor durability) there is no reason not to have stop/start ...

...except that for over 100 years, the main worry about having a car is 'will it start?' Adverts still contain lines like 'starts first time', which with modern machinery should be fairly redundant. Deliberately stopping the car in traffic seems to go against a century of motoring wisdom. I think it will take a while for this to be overcome.

And not necessarily Luddite, either: the whole stop/start thing depends on the engine being in a perfect state of tune, and when a car is new it is brilliant. But after 100k miles, with worn injectors, bores, valves etc, will it be such a good idea? For use in traffic, the re-start must be instant. A car that has to churn on the starter for a few seconds, as many older cars do, would be a liability if it did that a hundred times a day in city traffic. I can see why people are not keen.

My Octavia is just shy of 110k and it starts immediately. Cars have been built better and stronger.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • Financallychallenged
    Options
    Highway Code requires the driver to be in control of the vehicle at all times. How does this stack up with stop/start?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Highway Code requires the driver to be in control of the vehicle at all times. How does this stack up with stop/start?

Sitting in a car without the engine running isn't an offence. I am still sat behind the wheel, so how am I no longer in control?
  • topdaddy_2
    topdaddy_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options

It comes on when the brakes are applied. Complete control is mainntained at all times unless you come off the brakes in neutral and do not apply the hand brake.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    The Volvo v40 has a button to switch stop start off.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure