Charterhouse /VW

Options
I've been looking for a year bond to invest in for £50k and came across the Charterhouse / VW bond which seems to offer just over 5%. I've looked for reviews and couldn't find much. Its a step up from the usual 1.5 - 2% that most 1 year bonds offer so I'm naturally suspicious about it. It says it is FSCS and FCA compliant. Would that normally mean it is covered under the compensation scheme, as it doesn't actually say that on the site. Would appreciate input.

https://investmentbond-uk.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_ixCaR4IkM7yJ1B9dfSE4Z-L0FLmK_GpqCupDja6jOA_6Z1xEEr2cORoCftoQAvD_BwE

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    'Bond' is a disconcertingly vague term that can be used to cover both capital-protected deposit accounts (aka savings) but also investments that entail risk of loss.

As this is the latter, if you're looking for capital protection, step away from this one....
  • Stravinsky
    Options
    Thanks. It did seem a little too good to be true, hence why I asked for advice from those more experienced
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    The website is a bit thin, but taking it at face value in claiming FSCS protection...

The FSCS protection here would be the protection for investments, not savings. This protects you against some types of misadministration or fraud, but not against a loss in value of the underlying investment.

So if Charterhouse takes your money and fails to actually invest it in the VW bond, you should be protected up to £50k. If VW defaults on the bond, the FSCS protection gives you nothing.

Contrast that with an FSCS-protected bank deposit. If the bank becomes unable to repay your deposit for any reason whatsoever, you'll get your money back up to £85k.

How did you come across this investment, out of interest?
  • Legal_Warning
    Options
    This Charterhouse / VW Bond is a fraud. Charterhouse does not do this type of investment.

The website is registered in Russia and is nothing to do with Charterhouse or VW,

Charterhouse has reported this to the FCA, VW and other relevant authorities.

How do I know this ? I work at Charterhouse and we have had calls from people who were checking. If anyone has information re where this is being advertised please reply to this post so we can ensure warnings are posted where possible.
  • wiseinvestor
    Options
    Can't access the bond website..
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes it looks like the website has been taken down - it was working a few days ago.

I would avoid this like the plague
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can't access the bond website..

Why do you want to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing