PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Hopeless_Case
    Options
    £30.19 spent yesterday mostly on food for this weekend :eek::eek:

Partly just lots of big meals, partly my fault for not planning ahead - I made chilli for 10 people, and we just have no meat in the freezer now as me and OH are mainly veggie, and I should have been keeping an eye out for reduced mince, but had to pay full whack yesterday :eek:

Also a chicken for today (I did get a reduced one but still not that cheap as I wouldn't compromise on it being free range), meaty and veggie sausages and all the trimmings for a roast, 2 bottles of wine, etc... :o

So I've already spent £72.67 of my £200 budget with 24 days to go :eek: - but we do have quite a lot of basics in and the only 'extra' coming up is a birthday cake for my mum, so time to budget hard!!
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £14.57 in Tesco on some bits for the coming week. Mostly just basic stuff, but did spring for a Finest shepherds pie to eat with mum who is coming to stay a night on Tuesday.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The Good morning all and welcome to the Newbies

I have one spend to report: we went to MrT’s on Thursday and were determined to spend enough to get over the £60 threshold for the 10p-off-a-litre of petrol/diesel* since a certain “Lucky Car” was complaining he was thirsty. We stocked up on a few things: bulgar wheat, tins of tomatoes (they’re doing 4-for-£1 again, so we bought 24 for £6), etc, but the only way we could get over the threshold was for me to add 4 hair dyes - on 2-for-£10 - to the trolley. The hair dye comes out of my personal money, so once that is removed from the bill, we spent £41.85/£120, leaving £78.16 for the rest of the month.

While we found most things we wanted, one of the things we didn’t buy were their Grocer’s Choice Rolled Oats. At 79p per kilo, they’re MrT’s cheapest but every single packet I picked up was not properly sealed. I went through most of a box. In the end, I went and found an employee and showed him the problem. He wasn’t impressed with them either. We don’t desperately need oats - I was stocking up - so I’ll add them to the list for later in the month.

For the Newbies, a few things I’ve found that help me are to meal plan around what is already in the cupboard/fridge/freezer, and to shop to stock up the store cupboard.

Also, we all complain about being time poor and many use that as an excuse to spend loads on ready meals or take aways. What I’ve found is that being frugal is the result of snatching a minute here or there from the day to think ahead to do something which will be money saving. For instance, although I won’t cook them today, this morning I’ve put 750g of dried kidney beans out to soak. They’ll be drained and go into the freezer tonight - freezing helps break down the cell walls so they soften faster - and I’ll pressure cook them from frozen in a few days, when I’m home in the evening. Once cooked and drained, they’ll go back into the freezer in 2-can increments (about 500g).

The other thing I’ve done today is to take out meat to defrost, which I’ll cook in the slow cooker for tomorrow night’s dinner**. I’ll prepare the veg, etc, tonight, so that all I have to do in the morning is fling it all in the crockpot and switch it on to low. We’ll be having Giggly Pig*** faggots in red wine sauce. That means, all I’ll have to do when I get home is (possibly) make some couscous to mop up any excess liquid.

- Pip

*. I’m doing about 500 miles a week at the moment and my car (aka “Lucky”) has taken to screaming “Thirsty” at about 425 miles, even though I know he can do over 520 before we get close to the bottom of his 44L tank. We filled up immediately after the shop and he only needed 36 litres. (Yes, he’s reached the Age of Personality.)

**. I have choir practice on Monday nights, so timings are tight. Often, I only have half-an-hour between arriving home and leaving again. We bought a new slow cooker recently - a proper Crock Pot - because the old one did not seal and was terrible for cooking in. All the liquid would evaporate.

***. I bought the faggots from their market stall at Rochester’s Sweeps’ Festival last May. I usually buy a cool-bag’s worth of their meat/sausages/faggots when we go to Sweeps.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Nellbell21
    Options
    208 out of 600 spent so far. However plenty in too munch and hubby away towork next week. This means kids and I can eat from the freezer. So hopefully a cheap week����
  • Crowdpleaser
    Crowdpleaser Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £131 spent in aldeee. This is more than normal for 2 week shop but we were short on lots of store cupboard stuff and we are doing the food bank reserve advent calender all month so a few bits picked up there.

£29 spent in Mr s. I needed rice milk and a few lactofree bits. Plus hubs coffee was on offer so bought 2 jars.

Hope to not spend anything else now until a fruit n veg top up shop next weekend. Plus midweek milk purchase.

Total to date: 160/320.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Evening. Today was a NSD grocery wise but yesterday we had 3 shopping incidents. I was kind of shopping aimlessly as I haven't really done a meal plan yet. I had OH with me and partially let him guide the veg shopping to ensure he'll actually eat what we buy versus him being fussy about it and letting the food go to rot.

€7.44 at Lidl for 3x mozzarella balls, salami and 2x avocados

€7.40 at the organic market for a banana, radishes, mushrooms, broccoli, and bulk red wine vinegar including the €1 bottle deposit.

€19.32 at Delhaize for 2x Greek yoghurt, eggs, cheese, pork belly, strawberries, bottled drink for OH.

TOTALS SO FAR
    €40.66 / €300.00
    1 / 12 NSDs

We're a bit further ahead in the budget than I'd like to be, but still alright. I'll head to Delhaize tomorrow to buy more olive oil and a few other things. In attempt to use up freezer items, I've started making some slightly odd concoctions. I stir-fried pork belly with shallots, red peppers and frozen edamame last night. :rotfl:
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Just £2.30 spent today.

I'm having vegetable bean curry (again that vegan mince in this) and a jacket potato for dinner later.
    OH is having pasta with cheese sauce.

£38.95/£200.
    £161.05 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Liz3yy
    Liz3yy Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all, hope it's not too late to join in?

I visited Asda today and spent £31.54. Didn't need as much this time as we're eating out of the freezer a lot at the moment, plus I'm out for dinner with friends on Tuesday night.

All being well we shouldn't need any top up shops. Next week I aim to keep to less than £45
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Getting a Morrison's delivery tomorrow, which should be around £50, will update then :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 November 2018 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Pipney Jane, I was trying to work out what rude word you were trying to spell (Giggly Pig***) til I read to the bottom :rotfl:

Nellbell, I think if my hubby was away I could save a lot, he's the one with expensive food tastes! (That's my view and I'm sticking to it!)

Zafiro, what kind of milk do you freeze? When it defrosts, is it exactly as before it was frozen? We get through so much milk, if we could freeze and use it would be a big help

Massive A$da online shop came today, partly because I had a voucher to use up. Have done a 2 weekly meal plan so feeling optimistic there shouldn't be too much more to spend for 2 weeks except for meat/fish. Preferring free range is all well and good but it is a lot dearer.

Tried a veggie curry and it seems really nice, not planned as a meal in case no one would eat it but they all said they liked it, we will see...

At least there are still dandelions around so the rabbits get fed for free, for now :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure