Consulatation representative allowed to speak

Hi there, first post here.

I’m hoping to get a quick response as I need to know by tomorrow morning.

I am attending a second consultation meeting tomorrow morning with a relative of mine as their job is at risk of the hours being reduced. I should mention that I am an employee of the same company hence why I have been allowed to attend. I had attended the first consultation meeting and had asked questions that the management were not expecting to be asked. As a result of this when my relative has informed them that I am going to attend the second meeting they have replied confirming that I am able to attend ( they couldn’t refuse my attendance) but they have said that I am not allowed to ask questions on behalf of my relative and that my relative would have to ask themselves. I just wanted to confirm if they are allowed to do this or if they are just saying this in the hope that I will not know otherwise and will just take their word? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Don't know but you could get any questions on a piece of paper to your relative
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • Yeah, I have already done that but some of the questions require additional responses, writing these down would waste time, if there is no other alternative then that!!!8217;s fine, I just wanted to know if it!!!8217;s allowed for them to say that I can!!!8217;t ask questions
  • moneyonmymindsam
    moneyonmymindsam Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 February 2018 at 12:59AM
    Employers should ensure that companions can:

address the meeting, and put the employee's case on behalf of the employee;

sum up the workers case;

respond on the workers behalf to any view expressed at the hearing;

sum up on behalf of the employee at the end of the meeting;

but unless permitted by the employer, companions are not entitled to:

answer any questions put to the employee these should be answered by the employee, although companions may care to add to any response given or you could request a comfort break to confer directly to the employee in question;

participate in any way that the employee has indicated they don't wish for them to do, such as speak when the employee clearly doesn't want them to or
    disrupt the meeting or its progress.

Hope this helps!

Sam
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well done attending the meeting. When I was made redundant, I found out who my real friends were. I was very disappointed that one of them refused to accompany me, and I'll always be grateful to the other person who did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure