iSupply Energy - High Court Writ of Control to wrong Address

Options
telemarks
telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 24 April 2018 at 12:46PM in Energy
My elderly Mother-in-Law was very shocked to recently receive a Notice of Enforcement, saying her address owed money to ISupply Energy. She is, and has been, with British Gas for many years.
The Writ was addressed to a person we had never heard of, but with her very poor eyesight my MiL didn't notice this for some time.

After much letter writing, talking to the retired postman, local FB etc.. it turned out this unknown person lived in another block on the same estate.

iSupply Energy have finally apologised for their mistake and offered compensation:
iSupply wrote:
I am very sorry that this has happened as it should not have. It is unclear as to why the letter that you received was sent to your property when you are clearly not or never have been our customer
My question is .. do we now need to do any more?
As a High Court Writ of Control has been issued against my Mother-in-Laws property do we also need to contact the court to get their records amended?
Thoughts? :mad:

Comments

• Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 April 2018 at 1:10PM
    Options
    telemarks wrote: »
    My elderly Mother-in-Law was very shocked to recently receive a Notice of Enforcement, saying her address owed money to ISupply Energy. She is, and has been, with British Gas for many years.
    The Writ was addressed to a person we had never heard of, but with her very poor eyesight my MiL didn't notice this for some time.

After much letter writing, talking to the retired postman, local FB etc.. it turned out this unknown person lived in another block on the same estate.

iSupply Energy have finally apologised for their mistake and offered compensation:
    iSupply wrote:
    I am very sorry that this has happened as it should not have. It is unclear as to why the letter that you received was sent to your property when you are clearly not or never have been our customer

My question is .. do we now need to do any more?
    As a High Court Writ of Control has been issued against my Mother-in-Laws property do we also need to contact the court to get their records amended?
    Thoughts? :mad:

A Writ of Control commands a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO) to take control of and sell at auction enough of the debtor's goods to obtain the funds to satisfy a money judgment.

It is not issued against your MIL's property, as you say it is not in the name of your MIL.

An address cannot owe money; a person or other legal entity (e.g. a company) owes money.

If you want a belt & braces approach, keep a copy of the correspondence from the applicant (iSupply) to prove they accept there was an error made, should an HCEO call.

Btw - a Writ of Control, issued by the High Court, would only occur after umpteen other correspondence including that from a lower court. I guess your poor MIL's eyesight meant she missed all of that :cool:
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply.
    It is not issued against your MIL's property, as you say it is not in the name of your MIL.
    An address cannot owe money; a person or other legal entity (e.g. a company) owes money.
    Understood, but as the first reply for the Enforcement was asking if all the property at my MiL's address belonged to her, or if any belonged to another person, you can see how this get misunderstood
    ... anyone else who is not the above named (party (my MiL)own all or some of the goods at the address you must confirm this in writing to us at once
    Btw - a Writ of Control, issued by the High Court, would only occur after umpteen other correspondence including that from a lower court. I guess your poor MIL's eyesight meant she missed all of that :cool:
    Understood, and this is the really puzzeling bit. This Writ of Control did indead come out of the blue, we know for certain they have not written to her before. The only explinations we can come up with are either:
    • The court, or Enforcement agency have made a mistake (worrying), OR more likely ...
    • Our village postman of 30years service retired on the Friday, this Enforcement Notice arrived on the Sat. Our now retired postman was BRILLIANT, much loved, and was very good are redirecting mis-addressed mail, and has done so for years. So we suspect this is what has happened in this case.
    Either way, now iSupply have admitted fault it does seem like we don't need to do anything more with the court directly, but I would like to reassure my Mil if I can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure