Need will writing advice...

Options
13»

Comments

• Willman_Rodders
    Options
    Hi Localhero,

I notice you have made to date 8 posts, and mentioned the IPW website and a commercial site in nearly every case.

Why do you continue to mention the commercial site so frequently? Compared to most will writing websites it is, in my opinion, average; there are more informative sites out there. It couldn't be to do with the fact that it's your own website?

I was just wondering because if it is your own then you are breaching the terms of this forum - 'Don't post links for personal gain.' - see the top panel of each forum. If it is not yours then please accept my apologies for the assumption, and tell me why they are so special?

• localhero
    localhero Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately many people never get round to making their Will, mostly because they don't know who to trust. This is particularly sad, since the average family face paying huge amounts of inheritance tax which could be avoided.

There is also a real lack of knowledge about wills/IHT in general, which is illustrated by the number of unanswered posts on this forum.

The standard advice of go and see a solicitor, is not always best advice, since a lot of people don't wish to take time off work to see a solicitor, or they may be old or infirm. Solicitors don't come cheap, and there's no guarantee that they will be any good either.

My point is is that there is an alternative. Willwriters are generally an uknown quantity, and since it is still an unregulated industry there are many cowboys out there. Another reason why two thirds of the population put off making a will perhaps.

However the IPW is an organisation that is seeking OFT approval, that promotes Ethical, professional and competent standards uniformly. All members must pass an entrance exam in willwriting to join, they must stay up to date with the law, their conduct is regulated and they hold professional indemnity insurance.

It is not my site, but I am a member along with around 500 odd other people around the country. Anyone requiring a Will can search for a properly qualified Willwriter in their area.

I am sorry if I have offended you or anybody else, but it is definitely clear that people do require good, clear professional advice that can be trusted. If I am able to point people in the right direction, then I feel that must surely be a good thing. Perhaps Martin Lewis could write a piece about the IPW for the benefit of the vast majority who really don't know who to turn to for good advice about their Wills or inheritance tax.
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
  • shimmasok
    shimmasok Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't rely that heavily on the Institute of Professional Will Writers! I am ni the middle of trying to sort out the mess left by an online company who was supposedly a member. I honestly can't believe how they let the will ever leave their premises, its a shambles! Useless trusts left right and centre and provisions which make half of the will utterly useless!

The long and shot of it is that they are now in line to be sued by the 6 charities who rather than getting £180k are set to get nothing due to shambolic will writing :eek:
  • localhero
    localhero Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An online company?

I don't think it was an IPW company - what's the name of the firm?

If it was an IPW company then you are able to complain to the IPW and seek redress, in addition the member will be well insured, one good reason for choosing an IPW member.

PS I must declare an interest I am a member myself.
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure