PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

convince me this isnt a daft idea

Options
Hello,

Background: Married 25 years, me 55, DW 51, all debt cleared, no children but one dog, one parrot and two horses, dog and parrot live with us and horses on rented land at very low cost, house value £400K and owing on mortgage £127K, I'm about to be made redundant at the end of this month and the DW has a small income but not sufficient to cover all our costs so was thinking with no one to leave the house to when we're both gone why are we knackering ourselves to pay the mortgage each month, why not sell the house and live in rented occomdation, if we found somewhere for a max of £1000 the £275K without any interest would last 23 years almost making me 78 and the wife 75 if we make it that far, is that just plain daft, I do have a pension with about £85K in it

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 March 2018 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Beatle_Ray wrote: »
    Hello,

Background: Married 25 years, me 55, DW 51, all debt cleared, no children but one dog, one parrot and two horses, dog and parrot live with us and horses on rented land at very low cost, house value £400K and owing on mortgage £127K, ...
    - so you are £127k in debt, not zero debt....

Do you understand this minor financial point, please?

Do you realise the rent will almost certainly go up - so less than 23 years?

Do you realise the landlord can evict you, for no reason at all, with 2 months notice?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about ongoing costs?

You seem to have no savings to speak of. Your income currently is what, around £30-40,000?

So actually that money would not last you very long.
  • whatdoyouthink...
    Options
    get another job, enjoy the money you'd get from the house sale instead of dwindling it all away on rent...
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not just buy in a cheaper part of the country?

I had to rent for nearly 3 years. Dodgy landlord, no repairs, no security of tenure, never again.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 March 2018 at 4:10PM
    Options
    Downsize or move to a cheaper property where you could lose the mortgage.

Personally I wouldn't jump off the owner occupier property to go to rented,there are too many things that are then not in your control but in the control of the LL.

Saying my bit as a home owner but also a LL of several properties!

without appearing to cross threads,theres one today about the son who's parents are mid 80's and in rented,presumably they expected to live out their life in the place they have called home for many years anly to now find that their LL is now selling up.

Not an easy one to deal with and probably very unsettling for all involved but it jus goes to show that whilst you may have funds to cover rental payments into old age,as tenants your rights and ability to stay somewhere are always controlled or at least influenced by someone else who is there for their gain rather than taking the emotional route.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Amanda_Cm
    Amanda_Cm Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Downsize or buy in cheaper part of the country and pay off your mortgage. That's the best you can do and live happily when you get old.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are thinking of retiring early, there is no need to stay somewhere expensive.

Sell up, clear the mortgage, move somewhere substantially cheaper and have a house with no mortgage for the rest of your lives.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You could do something called equity release in 4 years (when your wife is 55.

That just means you take out a loan secured against your home that only gets repaid when you pass away or go in to a home.

It does not necessarily need to be your current home, you can move to another and downsize if you wish.

I do not do equity release Mortgages personally (although I do know a man who can), but it just means you never need to be worried about being evicted because a landlord wants to sell up or rising rent etc. It might be worth speaking to someone about as an alternative?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    It is a daft idea.

There's precious little security in the rented sector these days from what I read.

Do you really want to go through life at the mercy of 6 month contracts/finding deposits at intervals/having landlords & ladies refuse to take you on anyway if you're on the dole, etc?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Downsize or move to a cheaper property where you could lose the mortgage.

Personally I wouldn't jump off the owner occupier property to go to rented,there are too many things that are then not in your control but in the control of the LL.

And many landlords won’t accept pets which would be a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure