PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• funnyfreckle
    Options
    I must confess that my daughter and I have had a real laugh together at all the pics of dresses that the girls in her year have bought. I'm an old fogey but they seem totally inappropriate! And the prices people pay!! She's still beaming from ear to ear with her dress and said if nothing else she can wear it around the house!!
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Who says that White Stuff 'isn't sought after anymore'?
    Charity shopping isn't exactly London Fashion Week. :rotfl:

I don't know about their current quality as I don't buy (and never have bought) new but the quality of the White Stuff items I've picked up in charity shops has always been good.

FTR, I tend to class 'jersey' as the (usually) 95% viscose and 5% elastene that Per Una, Monsoon, White Stuff dresses are made from.
    I'm not sure if I've seen anything that says it's 'jersey'.

Personally, I think bobbling is less down to poor washing and more down to actual wear.
    On the dresses I mention above, bobbling tends to occur around the bust area and on the shoulders and the opposite side-back where cross-body bags can rub and bobble.

I see quite a bit of Boden round here.
    I agree, the care label is a great indicator of how often the item has been washed. And the quality control small round paper sticker (which disappears when first washed) usually means it's not been washed or at least only once.

Once I've worn my items for a while, I normally sell them if I can on eBay. That way I can have something new again, once I tire of an item or if I find it's not quite right after all. White Stuff rarely sells on eBay at all anymore and I also see little of it in the charity shops round here, and when I do I can tell from the labels that it's ancient! I think they've had their day, I don't like any of the styles or patterns I've seen for the last couple of years at least.

I only buy cotton jersey as I don't wear synthetics for hygiene and environmental reasons. If you don't wash things right (aka according to the care label), they bobble, stretch, fade etc. I have Phase Eight dresses that have been washed and worn for years according to the care label and they still look new. Contrast that with pieces that haven't been washed properly which can be instantly wrecked. M&S stuff is the worst, so much of theirs is 'special wash' and having made the mistake of washing even their t-shirts & vests in the wrong cycle in the past, I can tell you that they stretch beyond all recognition and look awful.

I've only ever seen 'site specific' bobbling on knitted garments, for example, under the arms where the fabric rubs and anyway, on that fabric it's easily removed with a de-pilling tool. But jersey, once ruined is irretrievable.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Wizzbang
    Options
    In my local Julias house I bought a joe brown dress for £7.50 and a crystal cut sweet pea vase for £2.00.

You must live near me!
    Minimalist

• Wizzbang
    Options
    I'm addicted to charity shops and this thread! I need to share today's excitement with someone and none of my friends get the charity shop thing! So, I'm afraid I have a bit of a long story to share ...

My daughter has been really poorly with ME for 15 months. She should be doing GCSEs this summer and since the New Year all the girls in her year have been posting photos of their (very expensive) prom dresses on What's App. It seems to be all they talk about but as she can't walk for more than a minute going to the prom is definitely not a possibility for her. However, I have a little hope that she might be able to go for half an hour at the beginning to have photos with her friends and have the excitement of seeing everyone arrive in their finery.

Sorry ...I told you this would be long! Just by chance, a couple of days ago, I stumbled across a Facebook post saying that a local charity shop had brand new prom dresses for sale for £9.99. You can park outside so I took my daughter today and I found 3 dresses in her size that I thought she might like. I was able to carry them to the car so she could see them and bought two for her to try on at home. She only tried one on as she fell in love with it straight away and it fits like a dream. She looks gorgeous (if I may say so!). So she can hang the dress in the wardrobe knowing that Cinders can go to the ball for a little while if she is able and if not she won't feel guilty for having an expensive dress she can't use. Although by rights she does have an expensive dress as I looked it up online and found the exact same dress for sale for over £200!!
    :j:j:j:j:j:j

What a fab pick-me-up for her.

Please don't push her to go to prom. Perhaps you can think of some other ways to adjust the day for her? Could someone FaceTime her on their phone instead, so she can join in from bed? She can always wear her dress at home and have her hair and make-up done, if she's up to that. Perhaps a couple of close friends could come and have pics taken with her beforehand? 30 mins out is a long time for someone who currently can't even walk for 1 min currently. The worst thing to do is have a set-back caused by booming and busting.

Do you know about AYME? The Association of Young People with ME. I'd really encourage her to join up, they were a fab source of support to me when I was a young person with ME.
    Minimalist

• funnyfreckle
    funnyfreckle Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Wizzbang - thank you so much for your support & advice. I really appreciate it. It is such a lonely illness with very little support so I really appreciate your comments and will look in to that organisation today.

You are so right I really don't want a set back - my life literally seems to revolve around keeping her on an even keel if I possibly can. Whilst she can't walk any distance she can manage 1 or 2 lessons at school & being with friends for that time helps to keep her going. Which is why I thought half an hour with friends at the beginning (if she can sit down!) would be something she might enjoy. However, if it's not looking like a good idea I love your idea of her Face timing. That is why we were so excited with the bargain dress. If she can't go then there is no stress, if she wants to pop along for 10 mins she doesn't have to turn up in jeans & can blend in!!

To be honest she's not interested in the Prom bit too much now she knows a ball isn't like the balls in Jane Austen's day!!
  • funnyfreckle
    funnyfreckle Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    PS - Whizzbang - I really hope you are doing a lot better now x
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,724 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Once I've worn my items for a while, I normally sell them if I can on eBay. That way I can have something new again, once I tire of an item or if I find it's not quite right after all. White Stuff rarely sells on eBay at all anymore and I also see little of it in the charity shops round here, and when I do I can tell from the labels that it's ancient! I think they've had their day, I don't like any of the styles or patterns I've seen for the last couple of years at least.

I only buy cotton jersey as I don't wear synthetics for hygiene and environmental reasons. If you don't wash things right (aka according to the care label), they bobble, stretch, fade etc. I have Phase Eight dresses that have been washed and worn for years according to the care label and they still look new. Contrast that with pieces that haven't been washed properly which can be instantly wrecked. M&S stuff is the worst, so much of theirs is 'special wash' and having made the mistake of washing even their t-shirts & vests in the wrong cycle in the past, I can tell you that they stretch beyond all recognition and look awful.

I've only ever seen 'site specific' bobbling on knitted garments, for example, under the arms where the fabric rubs and anyway, on that fabric it's easily removed with a de-pilling tool. But jersey, once ruined is irretrievable.
    I think most of the posters on here buy their stuff from charity shops and then re-donate to the charity shop of their choice.

I don't see a lot of White Stuff around here but what I do see tends to be to my liking, good quality and of a reasonable price.
    I don't look at the style of label to date a garment.
    I'm not a fashion victim or fashion junkie.
    I buy what I like at the price I'm happy with.
    I can't remember the last time I bought anything new - my choice, not necessity.

We appear to have had very different experiences with 'jersey' fabric.
    I've definitely seen 'site specific bobbling' on the type of jersey I'm talking about.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pollycat - I like White Stuff too. I know what you mean about the jersey bobbling, it's where the arm brushes the boobs mainly.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think most of the posters on here buy their stuff from charity shops and then re-donate to the charity shop of their choice.

Nods!!! Yep, could not be doing with all the hassle of FleaBay for, (mostly), so little profit these days. :o
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,724 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Pollycat - I like White Stuff too. I know what you mean about the jersey bobbling, it's where the arm brushes the boobs mainly.
    I was flicking through the tops rail in my hospice shop and a teal patterned top (White Stuff) stopped me in my tracks.
    "Ooooh" I thought "that's very nice".
    Then I realised that it was identical to the one I'd donated there a few months ago (and was probably the same one). :rotfl:

At least I'm consistent. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport