what benefits i loose if i move my partners house

Hi
Currently I live in a 2 bedroom house rented through council with my 7 year old son. I work part time. Council pays most of the rent for the house. I pay like £300 monthly for rent. I also pay bills. I get around £550 in child credit and work credit. Now i am thinking to move with my boyfriend. He works full time. So if we rent a house ourselves what benefit will i loose? He currently lives in a shared house so he pay like £350 rent monthly. But if we are to rent a whole 2 bed flat/house we are looking at £1000 expenses per month. If i will loose all my benefits then it seems its better i continue living at my current place and He can live there in his shared house that way we save more money and can look forward to buy a house in future.
Please advise.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you become part of a couple living together you must inform HMRC and your tax credits will stop.
    If you are moving within the same local authority you may be able to continue to claim Housing Benefit but it would have to be calculated on your joint circumstances.
    You may be able to claim Universal Credit as a couple, this would end your Housing Benefit claim.
    What you are entitled to will depend on your joint income and savings.
    You can use a benefit calculator to estimate your entitlement https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In July 2018 you had made a thread about having enough of a deposit set by to buy a house, just not the right credit history, do you still have this money and were you on benefits at that time?

Its relevant because some benefit entitlement will be based on the level of savings/capital you have.
  • Remember that even if you lose some money when you move in together, you will save on bills - only one water bill, only one gas bill, etc.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If you are spending all/most of your time together, even if that is in two different properties, you could potentially still be classed as a couple for benefit purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure