Dry cleaner has damaged my coat

Options
Hi there,

So I've taken my coat (part wool) to be dry cleaned at a local independent outlet. It transpires they outsource the dry-cleaning to an external company.

My navy coat then comes back and it's got grey/light marks on areas such as lapel, edge of collar, under the arms etc. I return the coat immediately, highlighting the issue. Then begins a lengthy saga of the coat going back and forth and me communicating with the external dry-cleaner directly.

Obviously, the dry cleaner is claiming that they have cleaned my coat according to the care label. The issue is that the coat was new last autumn and during the season worn, it was worn gently as I only wear it to work, 3 days a week!

So the outcome of the lengthy back and forth is that the dry cleaner claims to have inspected the coat and concludes that it's down to wear and tear, which is nonsense as there were no marks on the coat before. It's my word against their's and whilst the cleaner is happy to send it to an independent assessment, it's a costly expense (more than the cost's worth) that I may have to pay for. The dry cleaner has offered to give me a letter to take to the retailer (M&S) stating it's been cleaned appropriately, and I think the idea is that the retailer refunds me in some way.

I'm gutted, it's a fab coat and it's taken me ages to find one I liked. M&S don't do one in a similar style this year. I'm so cross that the dry cleaner did something to my coat, and is basically getting away with it. The coat was £79 last year, so not hugely expensive but I'm still a coat down at the worst time of year for it!

Where do I stand?

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Indoors?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You could send a “Letter Before Action” stating that the coat was damaged during the dry cleaning process, and therefore you would like a refund of the dry cleaning cost, as well as the second hand value of your coat (£40??). The coat would then belong to them if they paid out.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Stevie1
    Stevie1 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks but I think they’ll just call my bluff, at least at this stage. He’s not admitting fault so would probably be happy to go to small claims to defend it.

Does anyone know what my rights are here? Have I got a right for compensation? I’ve read mixed guidance online and it’s basicaly my word against his.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do they check items before they take them in?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Stevie1
    Options
    I’m not sure. As I said above, the dry cleaning is fulfilled by a third party. The place itself is a laundrette but the dry cleaning is outsourced. The guy I’ve been in contact with is from the dry cleaners, not the laundrette. I’m not even sure who’s responsible here: the laundrette whose supplier damaged my coat, or the supplier. I don’t think anyone has properly checked it but I’m 100% confident there were no marks on the coat before.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Given the value of a secondhand coat (which is all you can claim for, anything else would be betterment) and the cost to take it to MCOL (small claims), it may be advisable just to send the Letter Before Action. If you get a result, great. If not it may not be worth taking to court as you may lose.

You still have a wearable coat, albeit one with unsightly marks.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stevie1 wrote: »
    I’m not even sure who’s responsible here: the laundrette whose supplier damaged my coat, or the supplier.

You have a contract with the laundrette. Who they subcontract the job to is their problem.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It might actually be an idea to speak to M&S and tell them what the dry cleaner has said.

They may well test the coat and may provide you with evidence that it has not been cleaned correctly.

I have taken an item back to M&S that I hand washed as per the washing instructions and the material split.

They gave me a full refund.
  • Stevie1
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    It might actually be an idea to speak to M&S and tell them what the dry cleaner has said.

They may well test the coat and may provide you with evidence that it has not been cleaned correctly.

I have taken an item back to M&S that I hand washed as per the washing instructions and the material split.

They gave me a full refund.

Yes, I have done this today and they’ve asked me to bring it in for inspection.
  • Stevie1
    Options
    Given the value of a secondhand coat (which is all you can claim for, anything else would be betterment) and the cost to take it to MCOL (small claims), it may be advisable just to send the Letter Before Action. If you get a result, great. If not it may not be worth taking to court as you may lose.

You still have a wearable coat, albeit one with unsightly marks.

I’m going to keep this as a last resort action, in the meantime I’ll be taking the coat to M&S for inspection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure