Options

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wjr4 wrote: »
    Being a mystery shopper

When we started going out a lot of our 'dates' were mystery shopping assignments as we were each sole funding recent mortgages (with the help of a lodger each) so not much spare cash.

About 10 years ago the pubs were investing heavily on refurbishing to serve better food so they wanted a lot of before & after data to demonstrate the improvement. We also did lots of chain cinemas and bowling alleys. Being set secret challenges and memorising scripted phrases made the dates fun.

More assignments become possible when you have access to a young child. We recently took our little son to a well known bear making workshop which paid £30 but we were required to make a bear purchase and accessory which ended up costing £29.50 as he wanted the big yellow Pokemon. Still 50p profit and he would have eventually wanted to make a purchase there anyway.

The worst bit is writing it all up afterwards but my wife seems happy to do that bit.

Alex
  • 50S00N
    50S00N Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Try grass roots for market research assignments they give you an allowance to spend towards or for your purchase and a fee usually between £8-£15
    I also registered for food testing it's £5 for a 45 minute visit and you fill in the survey while you are there. I got enlisted by a lady in Sainsbury's
    My aunt gets paid for helping out when there is a local election too she registered through the local council. Good luck
  • retiredlady
    retiredlady Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I!!!8217;m a dog lover and have two of my own. I!!!8217;m lucky enough to own my home which has a well fenced back garden. I!!!8217;ve started dog sitting in my own home. I take small dogs only and no more than two at a time. The owners provide the dogs food. Dogs come to stay anywhere from one night to up to a month. I charge twenty pounds a night per dog. Most of the dogs are repeat visitors and it!!!8217;s like having a friend coming to visit!
    The dogs are treated like my own as they have the run of the house and garden and all cuddle up with me on the sofa in the evening to watch tv!

I know it wouldn!!!8217;t suit everyone, you obviously have to be a bit relaxed about moments of chaos when the doorbell goes, keep a child gate at the front door etc. But I make some extra money, I!!!8217;m happy, the dogs are happy, and the owners are happy! Even my neighbors enjoy it and often come over to visit and play with the dogs!
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some councils take on seasonal wedding registrar's doing weekends , bank holiday weddings in hotels and castles etc . You need to be able to drive obviously and be confident with small and large groups of people
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    When I retired I said, that's it, no more work. I was very skint at the time and one or two people asked me if I could dog walk. I only did it as and when required, not every day, and didn't ask for money but said a small donation would be fine.

Years later most of the dogs have passed away. I still walk one dog occasionally, the lady wants to give me something and I say no thanks so she gives me a bottle of wine now and again. My financial position is greatly improved now and I don't need to earn money.

Another thing I do is deliver Parish Newsletters, 400 houses twice a year. They do pay me a little bit and although I don't need it I carry on with it because they know the Newsletters will get delivered and not dumped in a hedge somewhere. And as walking is my hobby to keep fit, it would be daft not to do it.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know a couple who trawl charity shops for bargains then do car boots during the summer, average 100-300 profit each boot sale so they say. Keeps them active and is as onerous as they make it. Someone else sells quality charity shop bought clothes on fleabay!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 February 2019 at 1:43PM
    Options
    https://www.castingcollective.net have offered me 4 or 5 film extra jobs in the last month , I've put in for the latest one as I am available and it's very local . Hoping to hear back today.

It's only minimum wage but with a premium as it's a night shoot.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know a retired couple who do house sitting - not earning money as such but it saves them thousands on holidays. They started in the UK but now go all over Europe. Some of the houses have been luxurious; others just ordinary. They're in Germany at the moment (I know, because I'm watering the tomatoes in their greenhouse!)
  • nic098
    Options
    I've used another competitor in my local area ShedSpace for the past couple of months, renting out my car parking space Monday - Friday whilst I'm at work, for someone who works near my home for £30 a month, and I've been storing storing boxes and a bike in my spare room for the past few weeks, which will get me an additional £10 a month.

Getting £40 a month extra might not sound like a lot to most people, but it's helping me have a little money every month to enjoy myself, I've been going to the cinema and out for dinner with friends as most of my wages go on my bills.

I've never had a problem with ShedSpace and would recommend them to anyone looking to make a little extra money every month tax free.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    www.castincollective.net have offered me 4 or 5 film extra jobs in the last month , I've put in for the latest one as I am available and it's very local . Hoping to hear back today.

It's only minimum wage but with a premium as it's a night shoot.

This link appears dodgy - it directs me to an infected site - you have been warned !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure