Options
2»

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    Pretty sure the OP knows what wires are when he sees them. If they're blue/brown they're less than 20 years old. If red/black more than that but if in PVC 2+earth will still be OK. Older systems that should be replaced use single wires in black and red.

He will have no idea whether they are Vulcanised India Rubber (VIR) or PVC, for example, which is what was being alluded to.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 July 2018 at 6:35PM
    Options
    We have dumbed-down a lot in 40 years.

40 years ago, I rewired the house I bought because I was scared of what I found electrically and I'd no money to employ anyone. It was a basic 2 ring mains 2 lighting circuits job, but it took me a while, because I'd never done anything like that before. I had a book, though!

After I finished and had checked continuity etc somebody came and tested everything for safety, gave it their certificate of approval and that was it. It was legit.

Now, apparently, even with all the resources of the internet at their disposal, some poor person can't look behind a socket and understand what they see.....

Mind you, they could have come back to tell us what check was done in 2015 and who did it; in other words do they know or are they going on hearsay? Makes a difference.
  • shu32876
    shu32876 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mind you, they could have come back to tell us what check was done in 2015 and who did it; in other words do they know or are they going on hearsay? Makes a difference.
    To be honest, the only reply I got from the vendors when asked about rewiring was that the Electrics were checked in 2015 and new consumer unit installed. I didn't asked what specific checks were done and I haven't been back to the house to try and investigate further.
    I haven't exchanged yet for the house but things are going smooth and should be able to exchange hopefully by month end.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add - rewiring can also knacker your flooring.

I've been progressively mending some cowboys work, done for a previous owner, where they ripped the floorboards up and didn't even bother to fix them down again. Never mind the mess they'll make of the walls, as already mentioned.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    shu32876 wrote: »
    To be honest, the only reply I got from the vendors when asked about rewiring was that the Electrics were checked in 2015 and new consumer unit installed.

So, at present, your knowledge on this is just hearsay.

The owners ought to have had an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) as a part of that work and you should have sight of whatever paperwork was issued. Your solicitor will ask for it, but he/she won't know to do this unless you say what you think has happened, or it is mentioned on the TA6 form (vendors' answers to questions.)
  • Risteard
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    So, at present, your knowledge on this is just hearsay.

The owners ought to have had an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) as a part of that work and you should have sight of whatever paperwork was issued. Your solicitor will ask for it, but he/she won't know to do this unless you say what you think has happened, or it is mentioned on the TA6 form (vendors' answers to questions.)

The replacement distribution board would require an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC). An Electrical Installation Condition Report can only be used to report on an existing electrical installation and does not and cannot certify any new work (such as replacement of the DB).
    ECA Registered Member
  • shu32876
    shu32876 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

The owners have provided a Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance for the work that was carried out
    Description of work says:
    Electrical
    Install one or more new circuits
    Install a replacement consumer unit

Does it make sense to get an EICR done for the house?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    Options
    If you're willing to pay, it makes sense. A proper EICR involves inspecting and testing every circuit. The electrician should then give you a report listing all the problems, and their severity.

C1 = Fix it now before it kills somebody.
    C2 = It's really not right, get it fixed.
    C3 = It's not up to current standards, but not actually unsafe. Fix it if you can be bothered.

Be aware that a good electrician will find some faults. That's just the way it is. Even if the house was completely rewired, you can expect them to pick up on something that was done wrong.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Risteard
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    A proper EICR involves inspecting and testing every circuit.
    A proper EICR involves inspecting and testing what has been agreed within the extent and limitations of the report.

"Section D: Extent of the installation and limitations on the inspection and testing.

"Extent of the electrical installation covered by this report: [!!!8230;]

"Agreed limitations (including the reasons), if any, on the inspection and testing: [!!!8230;]

"Agreed with: [!!!8230;]

"Operational limitations including the reasons (see page No. [!!!8230;])

"The inspection and testing have been carried out in accordance with BS 7671, as amended. Cables concealed within trunking and conduits, or cables and conduits concealed under floors, in inaccessible roof spaces and generally within the fabric of the building or underground, have not been visually inspected unless specifically agreed between the client and inspector prior to the inspection."
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills