PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Am i crazy? - rolling the dice?

Options
124»

Comments

• nubbins
    nubbins Posts: 725 Forumite
    Options
    shaunhouse wrote: »
    What is your situation if you don't mind me asking Crashy?

:rotfl:I'll get some popcorn whilst I eagerly await the response
  • shaunhouse
    Options
    nubbins wrote: »
    :rotfl:I'll get some popcorn whilst I eagerly await the response

Looks like you'll need more popcorn!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

He never answers questions.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You seem to be (sensibly, in my view) worried about the risk you are taking. One way you can reduce that is to fix your mortgage interest rate for a longer term. Have you thought of going for a 10-15 year fix?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    You seem to be (sensibly, in my view) worried about the risk you are taking. One way you can reduce that is to fix your mortgage interest rate for a longer term. Have you thought of going for a 10-15 year fix?

That's a very interesting point and does potentially offer long-term piece of mind.
    However I do wonder where the real value lies in those loans they may seem tempting when you look at the absolute figures and within the time period, yes the interest rate may well go above the 10year fix rate, but for what period of the loan.
  • shaunhouse
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »

I'm comfortable with the risk of the 5 year fix. Barclay's 1.65% for 5 years works out at £685 per month and I plan to overpay about 10k per year which would leave me with a balance of about 135k after the 5 years.

I've come to realise I'm way down the pecking order in terms of who will be crucified if interest rates soar and house prices decline. Not as worried as when I started the thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure