Starting a private pension whilst in-between jobs

Options
Hi guys and gals,

I’ve been a qualified primary school teacher for 5 years and have been teaching 3 days a week or more each year however I’ve handed in my notice in order to start a new career. I plan on supply teaching next year while I transition (hopefully!) into another job with a pension scheme. My question is whether I should pay into a private pension scheme for the year that I project that I will be in-between jobs? (Supply teaching doesn’t offer any pension benefits)

What do you guys think?

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    your future self will thank you if you do
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can pay in up to £2,880 in a (tax) year without earnings.
    In a year with earnings, which i presume is likely unless your year off neatly lined up with tax years, you can pay in 80% of what you earned minus what already went into a pension.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi guys and gals,

I’ve been a qualified primary school teacher for 5 years and have been teaching 3 days a week or more each year however I’ve handed in my notice in order to start a new career. I plan on supply teaching next year while I transition (hopefully!) into another job with a pension scheme. My question is whether I should pay into a private pension scheme for the year that I project that I will be in-between jobs? (Supply teaching doesn’t offer any pension benefits)

What do you guys think?

I think it's hard to take financial decisions for other people based on next to no information!

If you can afford to contribute to a pension and want to save for retirement, then it makes sense.
  • cash1948
    cash1948 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    If you are happy to make some basic decisions I would suggest opening a SIPP and paying in whatever you wish on a monthly basis
    Trying to do the right things right :)
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't suppose that supply teaching is going to make you into a higher rate taxpayer. Maybe you should keep your powder dry for future contributions to a pension that would attract an employer contribution too, or might offer salary sacrifice.

Have you got a decent cash emergency fund? Are you under age 40? If "yes" to both, why not consider subscribing into a LISA? It might suit you.

Remember that contributing to a pension is of itself of no importance. What matters is saving and investing for old age. Some years a pension will be a good way to do that, some years there will be better ways.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    cash1948 wrote: »
    If you are happy to make some basic decisions I would suggest opening a SIPP and paying in whatever you wish on a monthly basis

You cant pay in "whatever you wish" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport