PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour flytipping, advice please

Options
Hi, firstly apologies if this is the wrong forum, I did not know where best to place it. I would like some advice please.

I have a vehicle access track at the back of my house that gives me access to my garage. Each houseowner owns the patch of this track behind their house and has a council covenant to keep it clear. For the past few years it has been overgrown as nobody has wanted to use it (we are the only house that has a garage now). We recently decided we wanted access to our garage and so started to clean ours and 2 of the neighbours land to allow access up.

The issue is that a man from the neighbouring street has been dumping garden waste on this land. He has cut a whole in the fence and has dumped literally tons of branches, whole tree logs, stumps. Tons. One time my husband approached him when he saw him do it and his attitude was that it was our problem now not his. Recently he chopped down his trees again and my husband has it all on camera and its plain evidence that he was in our land and chopping trees.

I have logged it as flytipping on the council website but as it is private land I have read that they are not responsible for clearing it! So does this mean he gets away with it?

Where does this leave us with options?? Part of me wants to chuck the branches back on his land? (if we cant prosecute him he cant prosecute us?) but there are tons and I cant lob whole tree trunks over.

I have the support of the 2 neighbours on my street that it also affects as the trees are dumped on their land but as neither of them are bothered about access on this land its my husband and I who ultimately need to sort it.

Grateful for your help.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Second line from the bottom is your answer.
  • Loopy1
    Loopy1 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    And what if we cannot afford to move/dispose of?? why should we have to do this anyway when we have enough evidence of who the culprit is.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You inform the Police & council: Or were you not aware of this option?
  • Loopy1
    Loopy1 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I have logged it with the council, but straight away it says they are not responsible for flytipping on private land. I am waiting for them to contact me back, just keen to see if anyone else had experienced this before and how they resolved it.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pay for its removal, send bill to those responsible for fly tipping.

If they don't pay then small claims court.
  • Strummer22
    Strummer22 Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Put as much of it as you can back through the hole, then fix the hole.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You inform the Police & council: Or were you not aware of this option?

What can/should the police and/or council do about it?

I think this is just a matter between the two landowners. Injunction to stop him doing it and/or claim for cost of clearing the land. Whether it's worthwhile pursuing is another matter.

Securing the land so that he can't access it would be a more practical solution.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stick it all back over his fence. Laugh your tits off as you do it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The council are right - private land so not their problem. Talk to a few farmers and they'll tell you what a pain flytipping is!

Is the flytipping on your land? If so there's a trespass, aggravated by damage with a quantifiable cost. You send a polite letter requesting he remove the items in question.

Follow up with a Letter Before Action, then sue.

Of course, if this is all happening on your neighbour's bit of land, only he can take this action......
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This may sound like a crazy idea but if the logs are serious enough to make decent firewood put an auction on ebay titled "free firewood , help yourself".

I think you will be pleasantly suprised how much if it quickly disappears

Rob
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family