PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying Share of Freehold through Information Notice - Solicitor Required

Options
Hi,

Our old Freeholder sold the freehold without properly serving notice on all of the tenants. The collection of leaseholders in the building would like to buy a share of the freehold via an Information Notice. The Information Notice has been served and a response received.

We need to instruct a solicitor to act on our behalf. How can I find a solicitor who is experienced in this field?

Many thanks,

richx

Comments

• da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ring some local ones and ask what experience they have in leaseholder enfranchisement matters?
  • richx_uk
    richx_uk Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a more modern approach I an follow? I was wondering if there are any online resources such as reviews or remote solicitors I can use via the internet?
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure there are online conveyancers who will promise this, but most advice on this forum aligns with #2...

...which also lets you assess intangibles like responsiveness and likely effectiveness (do they pick up the phone, quote unambiguously, commit to communicate quickly - preferably by email- verify this by sending you their emailed quote the same day in an intelligible format...?)

I always use local solicitors' conveyancers for these reasons and so I can pop in and look 'em in the eye. And the experience of our kids, when buying from a vendor who tried to shave costs by using an online service based 200 miles away, was that they (the other side's so-called "solicitor") were hopeless on their slightly complicated leasehold purchase, so their seller had to sack the conveyancers and start again.

But it's your call
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could also search via the Law Society here:

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/?Pro=True

Under 'area of practice' enter 'landlord & tenant residential' and/or 'Planning' and/or 'conveyancing residential'. Look also for firms with accreditation, and then ring and ask specifically about enfranchisement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure