Terrified by Universal Credit - Full Service Area

Options
I receive tax credits, DLA and severe disabiity premium (tax credits) for my 12 year old, carers allowance and Income support for me. I have a PIP claim in process for me, waiting for tribunal date. With the difficulty getting PIP and the lies told following my assessment I don't think I could cope with an ESA claim as well.

But am totally terrified by the concept of going to Universal Credit. How will I pay bills moving from being paid weekly to monthly and then there's the waiting period? I don't have anyone to borrow money from. I gather there is a loan scheme to help during the waiting period but how do I pay that back on less money? I am barely managing as it is, using my son's DLA to help us get through (although it does cover the extra expenses needed for him too).

I don't know when we'll be moved over.

Very depressed, school problems for my son. I don't seem to be able to do anything to protect him as it is. The thought of having no money coming in for weeks at some point is not helping.

I know its defeatest but just don't know how to keep fighting just to get through anymore. There are other things going on I won't go into, it just seems like there is no point or value in me anymore.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I receive tax credits, DLA and severe disabiity premium (tax credits) for my 12 year old, carers allowance and Income support for me. I have a PIP claim in process for me, waiting for tribunal date. With the difficulty getting PIP and the lies told following my assessment I don't think I could cope with an ESA claim as well.

But am totally terrified by the concept of going to Universal Credit. How will I pay bills moving from being paid weekly to monthly and then there's the waiting period? I don't have anyone to borrow money from. I gather there is a loan scheme to help during the waiting period but how do I pay that back on less money? I am barely managing as it is, using my son's DLA to help us get through (although it does cover the extra expenses needed for him too).

I don't know when we'll be moved over.

Very depressed, school problems for my son. I don't seem to be able to do anything to protect him as it is. The thought of having no money coming in for weeks at some point is not helping.

I know its defeatest but just don't know how to keep fighting just to get through anymore. There are other things going on I won't go into, it just seems like there is no point or value in me anymore.
    Unless a change of circumstances prompts a move to UC for you then managed migration doesn't start until at least 2019. Much later in some areas. Once this starts there will be a transitional protection in place, this will make sure you're not any worse off when the move does happen. For now, i wouldn't worry about it.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    As you're claiming Income Support, you can't claim ESA as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Income support as a carer, not like Jobseekers allowance.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I assume I wouldn't have to wait a year or more with no money while awaiting a successful ESA claim? I thought you carried on with IS until a decision was made on ESA.

Fortunately I have shied away from doing this anyway.
  • poppy12345
    Options

I assume I wouldn't have to wait a year or more with no money while awaiting a successful ESA claim? I thought you carried on with IS until a decision was made on ESA.

Fortunately I have shied away from doing this anyway.
    Yes, i know what Income Support is but you can't claim ESA at the same time. If you decided to claim ESA now instead of Income Support (if you're unable to work) then as your area is a full UC area then it will be UC you will have to claim, not ESA.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 June 2018 at 1:17PM
    Options
    Lots of people are concerned about moving to Universal Credit so I can understand your worries, especially since you say things are stressful for you right now.

When you move to Universal Credit it will be by managed migration (unless you claim a new legacy benefit before then) and you will get transitional protection so that you are no worse off.

I am wondering why you are mentioning ESA. There is no need for you to claim ESA unless your son loses his DLA. You can continue on your IS and CA.

When you move to UC there are no separate benefits. You get a basic amount and then various elements added on. In your case, carer's element, child element and the housing element.

You could put your details into a benefits calculator to see what you would get when you move to UC. Remember Carer's Allowance is paid separately (but counted as income for the UC).

Or you could go to CAB and ask them to do a benefits check for you as if you were on UC.

You can get an advance of your UC (as much as 100% of it) and this will then be deducted from future UC but can be spread over a year.

As for bills then they will have to wait! Let them know you are going to be late and why and ask them to spread the 'arrears' over a suitable length of time.

Of course rent and CT are priority bills so you will need to speak to your landlord and council too. I suspect by the time you are moved to UC 'creditors' will be very used to people asking for time to pay and making it affordable. They cannot ask for what you don't have. There is help out there in all these situations when you are on benefits so please do not worry.

Good luck with your PIP appeal. I hope you are successful.

Link about the elements for UC

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I could make a claim for ESA because I have physical challenges that have become worse, plus ASD (I now couldn't work even if I wasn't a carer). But because of the problems I have read others have with ESA reassessments, added to the difficulties with the initial assessment AND experiencing a similar process through my PIP application, I decided to just stick with income support which is probably lower but more certain.

However I couldn't manage without income support whilst waiting a year or so for ESA to be decided even if I decided to go through with it. The pluses just aren't there.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I could make a claim for ESA because I have physical challenges that have become worse, plus ASD (I now couldn't work even if I wasn't a carer). But because of the problems I have read others have with ESA reassessments, added to the difficulties with the initial assessment AND experiencing a similar process through my PIP application, I decided to just stick with income support which is probably lower but more certain.

However I couldn't manage without income support whilst waiting a year or so for ESA to be decided even if I decided to go through with it. The pluses just aren't there.

I would say that based on what I have heard about, if you had difficulty with the PIP assessment, then you are unlikely to receive support ( LCWRA) group after an ESA/UC assessment.

Of course I don't have enough information on your particular case and even if I did I would not be able to assess. But I would suggest that you contact CAB or other benefit advisory service, to see what they suggest. They might advise you to see what happens with the tribunal for PIP. Once you know that outcome, then you can review way forward.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • poppy12345
    Options

As you are claiming IS, you would have to cancel that claim and start a claim for ESA. You would be paid assessment rate until you're assessed and a decision is made. As you're claiming PIP there are premiums payable with IS, so you may not be that much better off changing. You will need to pop your details into a benefits calculator to know for sure. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

However, if your area is a full Universal credit area then you wouldn't be able to claim ESA at all, It would have to be UC.
    Check here. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »

However, if your area is a full service Universal credit area then you wouldn't be able to claim ESA at all, It would have to be UC.
    Check here. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

Not true.

If you are in a Full Service UC area, you can also claim 'New Style Contribution Based ESA'.

You can get new style ESA on its own or at the same time as Universal Credit.

If you get both at the same time your new style ESA payment will be deducted from your Universal Credit payment - you are not guaranteed to get any extra money.

Which, would be more financially beneficial, is unclear.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/types-of-esa

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts