PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Max estates deposit not returned

Options
Hi all,

I am in a similar situation to the people in Kathiravans7 thread 'deposit not returned'.
I moved out a month ago from st faiths lane norwich, and have yet to receive my deposit of £831.50 from max estates/sutton management.
They said in an email that they told new tenants that the deposit pays the last months rent but i was never informed.
I have been emailing Angie and Michelle, who are the only contacts that I have been given, for the last month trying to chase them up. Everytime I email they send back an automatee reply saying they will be back in the office the next day but then never reply.
Also apparently only Michelle can handle the finances but never replies.
I have been in contact with my letting agent who have sent numerous emails to Angie and Michelle but again no replies.
What can I do to get my money back? The flat was run inadequately; there was mould, no gas whilst being charged for it, the power kept going out every 2 weeks, no wifi, no lockers or holes for post so it was just left there.

I just want my money back and this grievance to stop

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was it protected?

Ultimately your landlord is responsible for your deposit
  • Oatsinthedark
    Options
    No it wasnt put in a proteted scheme as far as I know
  • Comms69
    Options
    Have you checked? if yes, you need to take legal action against your landlord, start with a letter before action to repclaim the deposit.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Have you checked? if yes, you need to take legal action against your landlord, start with a letter before action to repclaim the deposit.

If you read the other thread this isn't as easy as normal as they don't have AST I believe they have licenses.

First they have to prove that it's an AST before they can start legal action regarding the lack of protection.
  • Oatsinthedark
    Options
    No it wasnt protected. I have checked this. The problem is that the landlord, or those acting on behalf of max estates, are no longer replying to me or the lettif agent.
  • Comms69
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    If you read the other thread this isn't as easy as normal as they don't have AST I believe they have licenses.

First they have to prove that it's an AST before they can start legal action regarding the lack of protection.

Prove to who? The court? You have to do that anyway.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) was this an AST? Please clarify the type of occupancy. If not sure, use Shelter's tenancy checker here.

2) Did you pay a deposit to the landlord or his agent? If so
    a) it should have been protected and
    b) it's for the LL/agent to return it - not a new tenant

But if you paid your deposit to an outgoing tenant then
    c) the LL did not receive it so did not need to protect it and
    d) you will have to reclaim it from the ex-tenant to whom you paid it

More here:

* Deposits: payment, protection and return
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Options
    Max estates appear to repeatedly be issuing licenses not tenancies & using their financial & other muscle to persuade occupants not to take them to court.

Sue the b+at+rds
  • Oatsinthedark
    Options
    According to shelter i was a fixed-term assured shorthold tenant.

And I paid my rent to the landlord by standing order.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Options
    So sue the b+at+rds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts