Mobile phone credit checks

Options
My wife has an existing contract with EE. We wanted to change so firstly went to CPW for a good Vodafone deal (better reception in our area). Failed the Vodafone credit check but told EE, O2 etc were ok. Phoned Vodafone direct and passed - offered a more expensive deal.
Went to Mobilephonesdirect - same story, failed a credit check for O2. Both O2 and Vodafone deals were the best we could find in the market. Phoned O2 direct, passed check and offered a phone, again more expensive than MPD. Got my wife's credit score and report - and spoke to - Equifax and Experian. All 100%, no negative comments etc.
Am I being cynical in thinking that it is more than coincidence that the two cheapest deals in the market suddenly get declined on credit grounds when the network suppliers are OK with the same risk for a higher priced package?? Legally no-one can force any supplier to sell them something but I'm starting to find this practice rather smelly, especially if somehow a negative credit request is engineered and the impact that can have on personal credit scores. Anything to be done - a subject for MSE to highlight perhaps?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It seems more likely that the errors, or non availability of deals are at the third party end.

Remember also that a search is just a search. It will have minimal impact on your history, and of course, you have no personal credit score.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 January 2018 at 7:08PM
    Options
    Sernin wrote: »
    My wife has an existing contract with EE. We wanted to change so firstly went to CPW for a good Vodafone deal (better reception in our area). Failed the Vodafone credit check but told EE, O2 etc were ok. Phoned Vodafone direct and passed - offered a more expensive deal.
    Went to Mobilephonesdirect - same story, failed a credit check for O2. Both O2 and Vodafone deals were the best we could find in the market. Phoned O2 direct, passed check and offered a phone, again more expensive than MPD. Got my wife's credit score and report - and spoke to - Equifax and Experian. All 100%, no negative comments etc.
    Am I being cynical in thinking that it is more than coincidence that the two cheapest deals in the market suddenly get declined on credit grounds when the network suppliers are OK with the same risk for a higher priced package?? Legally no-one can force any supplier to sell them something but I'm starting to find this practice rather smelly, especially if somehow a negative credit request is engineered and the impact that can have on personal credit scores. Anything to be done - a subject for MSE to highlight perhaps?

Are you on the electoral roll ?

Stop applying for now.

Forget the score as its no use since only you see it, it could be 999 and be of no use.

Why not buy a phone outright and go sim only.
  • Sernin
    Sernin Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry slightly wrong there. We do have personal credit scores and my wife's has decreased slightly following the failed applications. Also we have the full report and that shows the multiple applications and resulting enquiries. Why should she stop applying if, as suggested, the retail outlet, instead of withdrawing the offer, tells people that they have failed a credit test??? Illegal!
    We did look at buying and SIM only but it only makes sense if you keep the phone over 2 years otherwise most deals are very similar to a contract.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You don't have a credit score - it's a made up number and goes up and down as the wind changes and as it seems fit to.

No one sees it or cares about it.

If you like I can transfer you some of my numbers to fill up what has dropped?
    I'll even throw in a few extra as a measure of goodwill.

What matters is the data and history on your files.

Lenders use their own scoring and assessment to decide whether to accept you as a customer or not
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry slightly wrong there. We do have personal credit scores

You don't.

You have a number that a company has told you is a credit score.

In fact you have two other companies, who give you two other different numbers, and they all tell you it's your personal credit score too.

It's not.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Must be something negative on your credit profiles, to be declined for credit on a mobile phone contract... So you have no historic debts with any mobile network? No late/missed payments, Defaults, CCJs or not listed on the Electoral Roll? No CIFAS fraud markers either?
  • DCFC79
    edited 30 January 2018 at 9:53PM
    Options
    Sorry slightly wrong there. We do have personal credit scores and my wife's has decreased slightly following the failed applications. Also we have the full report and that shows the multiple applications and resulting enquiries. Why should she stop applying if, as suggested, the retail outlet, instead of withdrawing the offer, tells people that they have failed a credit test??? Illegal!
    We did look at buying and SIM only but it only makes sense if you keep the phone over 2 years otherwise most deals are very similar to a contract.

So keep the phone over 2 years then, gp for 3 or 4 then.
  • Sernin
    Options
    No both the full Equifax and Experian credit REPORTS are perfect, also had this confirmed verbally when I spoke to them. So the other chap posting saying it is a made up number is wrong. Also I sepnt all my professional life in finance so I do know what I'm talking about. Have been through the report with a fine tooth comb and absolutly nothing negative at all. My suspicion is - in view of the fact that both networks offered us contracts that were more expensive (i.e. a higher credit risk) than the two very good deals from CPW and Mobiles Direct - that for some reason bother retailers do not want to offer these deals, or are unable to do so and are using the "refused credit" as am excuse that most people cannot argue against.
  • DCFC79
    edited 31 January 2018 at 2:33PM
    Options
    No both the full Equifax and Experian credit REPORTS are perfect, also had this confirmed verbally when I spoke to them. So the other chap posting saying it is a made up number is wrong. Also I sepnt all my professional life in finance so I do know what I'm talking about. Have been through the report with a fine tooth comb and absolutly nothing negative at all. My suspicion is - in view of the fact that both networks offered us contracts that were more expensive (i.e. a higher credit risk) than the two very good deals from CPW and Mobiles Direct - that for some reason bother retailers do not want to offer these deals, or are unable to do so and are using the "refused credit" as am excuse that most people cannot argue against.

Your score is made up, the score as in the 876 is made up, your report isn't made up, there's a difference between the 2.

Maybe watch the Martin Lewis show from last week.

If you work in finance as you say then you should know the score isn't seen by anyone but yourself.
  • Sernin
    Options
    Yes but I have been talking about the report all the time. Missed the programme and now out of time as we are on holiday from tomorrow, was it relevant to credit issues or phones?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure